Author Topic: Upstairs neighbor, loud bass, footsteps, next: surround sound  (Read 13054 times)

ruhe25

Upstairs neighbor, loud bass, footsteps, next: surround sound
« on: January 27, 2008, 04:42:06 AM »
Help!   :'(

I have a belligerent upstairs neighbor who likes to play salsa with a very loud bass, and we also have footstep noise problems. Tonight he laughingly told us he's getting surround sound installed...he thinks its a joke.  My landlord is doing nothing, and it will be very expensive for me to move (and get a lawyer to help me break the lease).

I was looking at the MLV, even thinking of offering to install it in his living room under the carpet, but the bass also comes down the walls.  His living room is about 18 by 12 feet, and the bedroom (14 x 10) is also bad for footstep noises.  Also, I fear that if he knows there's soundproofing, he will be even noisier.

Even if I paid for MLV to be installed, I'm not sure this problem will be fixed. Comments? Suggestions?
It seems like trying to fix this problem would cost thousands.

Mark Daveis

Re: Upstairs neighbor, loud bass, footsteps, next: surround sound
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 07:27:09 PM »
Hi,

Even if you installed 10+ layers of mlv which is about 50kg/msq you would still have some noise problems as its simply not enough mass. Bass sounds, loud sounds and impact noise all contain a lot of energy and to stop this you need really huge amounts of mass - think 2 meter thick concrete walls and similar which is just not practical. So the only way to get around this is to use a floating roof with enough air space. If your walls shake or vibrate when there is this noise then you have some real problems as you will have to do a floating wall as well and maybe a room within a room which are all quite expensive. My first advice is to get a sound level meter and find out the level of the noise. Then decide what your best approach is. :)

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »
Thousands to move, thousands to stay.  I vote for move.  If you stay, you'll still have a dick for a neighbor.  And you're right, he will be noiser if you soundproof - a lot noiser.

rackims

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:30:54 AM »
Help!   :'(

I have a belligerent upstairs neighbor who likes to play salsa with a very loud bass, and we also have footstep noise problems. Tonight he laughingly told us he's getting surround sound installed...he thinks its a joke.  My landlord is doing nothing, and it will be very expensive for me to move (and get a lawyer to help me break the lease).

I was looking at the MLV, even thinking of offering to install it in his living room under the carpet, but the bass also comes down the walls.  His living room is about 18 by 12 feet, and the bedroom (14 x 10) is also bad for footstep noises.  Also, I fear that if he knows there's soundproofing, he will be even noisier.

Even if I paid for MLV to be installed, I'm not sure this problem will be fixed. Comments? Suggestions?

I hate stompers, and stampers, and thumpers,and squeakers and bangers, and screwovers!!!!!! Now....the brand is Honeywell...the price is $9.99 each.. the plan is to screwover the screwover. Set up these fans around your apt, and put them on high all the time. along with the kitchen stove fan and airconditioner fan. Now..does your tv have a earphone jack, or do you have a mp3 player. Read my thought on the person that posted(I am so miserable). This method has kept me from tearing the steel security door off my building, and kept me from going into the boiler room and setting off a roman candle, and kept me from breaking my neighbors doors down and breaking everything in theyre apt, and also kept me from breaking everything in my apt too.and kept me from ripping the banisters out of the baseboards of the squeaky staircase in my #^$%ing apartment building. I WOULD ALSO RECOMEND LOOKING FOR A HIGHRISE APARTMENT BUILDING, THE WALLS AND FLOORS ARE SEPERATED BY CONCRETE, AND YOU CANT HEAR A THING, I SHOULD KNOW I USED TO LIVE IN ONE, THAT IS UNTIL I MADE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE AND MOVED HERE, THE PLACE WHERE I CAN HEAR MY @#%^@#%^ing NEIGHBORS BREATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please forgive me... while I desperatly wait for the coming of the Lord, i get a little edgy.

rackims

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 09:20:23 PM »
I hate stompers, and stampers, and thumpers,and squeakers and bangers, and screwovers!!!!!! Now....the brand is Honeywell...the price is $9.99 each.. the plan is to screwover the screwover. Set up these fans around your apt, and put them on high all the time. along with the kitchen stove fan and airconditioner fan. Now..does your tv have a earphone jack, or do you have a mp3 player. Read my thought on the person that posted(I am so miserable). This method has kept me from tearing the steel security door off my building, and kept me from going into the boiler room and setting off a roman candle, and kept me from breaking my neighbors doors down and breaking everything in theyre apt, and also kept me from breaking everything in my apt too.and kept me from ripping the banisters out of the baseboards of the squeaky staircase in my #^$%ing apartment building. I WOULD ALSO RECOMEND LOOKING FOR A HIGHRISE APARTMENT BUILDING, THE WALLS AND FLOORS ARE SEPERATED BY CONCRETE, AND YOU CANT HEAR A THING, I SHOULD KNOW I USED TO LIVE IN ONE, THAT IS UNTIL I MADE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE AND MOVED HERE, THE PLACE WHERE I CAN HEAR MY @#%^@#%^ing NEIGHBORS BREATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please forgive me... while I desperatly wait for the coming of the Lord, i get a little edgy.
Its good to potion it out, somedays run the fans, other days listen to your mp3 player. Get a nifty headphone extension cord for $3 bucks and sit back while listened to the tv on headphones. Too much of one thing can cause anxiety.

joel

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 05:35:28 PM »
Help!   :'(

I'm suprised no one suggested the proper MLV carpet underlay - one that both blocks air-borne and mitigates impact noise.  Best for this carpet underlay is 1lb/sq ft MLV with 1/4" closed cell foam bonded to underside.  See "the three types we sell. . . " ("best") at MLV link: http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm 
To stop the flanking sound coming down walls you will need to treat it in the room above as well.  Simply add another layer of dry wall with Green Glue.  Use the Green Glue at maximum rate - thre tubes per 4x8 sheet of dry wall.

anything