Author Topic: Soundproofers in L.A.  (Read 6027 times)

JH315

Soundproofers in L.A.
« on: January 31, 2008, 12:46:14 AM »
Anyone able to help with a recommendation on someone in the Los Angeles area that does soundproofing? I live in a loft downtown that I love, but there is a pipe joint near the ceiling that is very loud. It's in a corner, so I could concievably build a closet from ceiling to floor and fill it with a barrier. Anyone have someone in L.A. that does this sort of work? I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
John
jh315@earthlink.net

NEED SLEEP

Soundproofing windows from FREEWAY
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 08:50:17 AM »
Hello Everyone:  I am renting an apartment in Los Angeles and I am losing sleep every night.  My bedroom window (which is 2 pane and slides) faces the freeway but I can still hear the cars.  I have French doors in the living room that also allow noise from the freeway to come in.  Can anyone suggest a cost effective way to insulate my place from the noise and STILL let me open the doors and windows?  U have heard about MAGNET SEAL FRAMING and HEAVY DRAPES... but do those work?  Thank you in advance for your help.  It's a pretty cool apartment and I have moved in all my stuff.  I don't want to move AGAIN, due to lack of sleep and constant noise. 

johnbergstromslc

Re: Soundproofers in L.A.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:55:58 PM »
Skip the heavy drapes.  Magnaseal windows do work, if the plastic is thick enough.  1/4" thick isn't enough - 3/8" or 1/2" is what you need.

Try raising the ambient noise in your room, too.  Keep a fan running or get a white-noise machine.

joel

Re: Soundproofers in L.A.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 03:33:25 PM »
There are several fine soundproofing contractors in Los Angeles.  Unfortunately, most only do commercial projects.  Here is a link for an experienced and skilled soundproofing contractor who also does small jobs between his large projects:
http://www.granahanconstruction.com/
He may charge for consultation on site - check out his web site and give him a call.