Author Topic: Soundproofing a shed  (Read 4959 times)

mrdeedsbb

Soundproofing a shed
« on: February 21, 2008, 01:06:57 AM »
I am planning on building a shed out of wood and my goal is to be able to jam out with some friends at whatever time and not have the neighbors call. So, I am attempting to find a good soundproofing solution. It doesent have to be completely sound proof but enough where i can rock out anytime of the night and not wake the neighbors or bother them. What are some good, hopefully cheap methods for doing this? Does building a room within a room really help soundproof it more?
Feel free to leave any more tips! ;D

johnbergstromslc

Re: Soundproofing a shed
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:45:41 PM »
It won't be cheap by any means.  A wood shed is really just a mini house, so use standard soundproofing methods.  A room in a room would be best, by far.

I would also recommend double windows and double doors.  When you're in there with everything closed up, the ventilation is gonna suck, but that's the price you'll have to pay for not disturbing the neighbors.  With the amount of bass you're gonna produce, I can't think of a good ventilation solution that won't leak sound badly.

Mark Daveis

Re: Soundproofing a shed
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 07:35:43 PM »
You will need quite a lot of wood for a building of that size which means it will be expensive just because you need enough wood mass.
Just use something like concrete blocks and cement which is cheap and has lots of mass.
For lots of bass noise you really need to make a room within a room with the inner room on a sprung or say neoprene supports. This can be done cheap with concrete but get your design down on paper first as its difficult to make changes when you have started building.
Pay attention to the roof as it must have as much mass as the walls.
A single wall may be enough but a room within a room can be technically complex to build but works much better like using a single room with over a metre thick walls. :)

anything