Author Topic: Green Glue for impact noise  (Read 7265 times)

jimha

Green Glue for impact noise
« on: February 25, 2008, 03:25:36 AM »
Has anyone tried green glue on 5"8 drywall and added to an existing ceiling to stop footstep noise from the condo above. Thanks for any responses.  ???

johnbergstromslc

Re: Green Glue for impact noise
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 10:46:49 PM »
GG & another layer of drywall won't do much to attenuation structureborne noise, unfortunately.  You have to physically separate the drywall from the floor joists with channels or an independent, secondary structure.  Even so, a lot of the noise will remain, just because impact noise is so much more energetic than vibration from an airborne source.     

joel

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 10:11:45 PM »
Here we go again.  Have you tried it yoursel?
Here is some info that is relevant to Green Glue's damping effectiveness with impact (low frequency) sound:
http://www.soundproofing.org/greenGlueDatasheet.pdf
Best results are with the maximum 3 tubes per 4x8 sheet.  Oh, by the way, the results on the data sheet were with standard (2 tubes/sheet) Green Glue.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:58:02 PM »
Here we go again.  Have you tried it yoursel?
Here is some info that is relevant to Green Glue's damping effectiveness with impact (low frequency) sound:
http://www.soundproofing.org/greenGlueDatasheet.pdf
Best results are with the maximum 3 tubes per 4x8 sheet.  Oh, by the way, the results on the data sheet were with standard (2 tubes/sheet) Green Glue.

I followed the link but didn't see an independent IIC acoustical test on the Green Glue solution, so it was little use... 

Personally, I wouldn't feel good recommending Green Glue in this case unless he were to hang the ceiling resiliently first.  But since he lives in a condo, he can't realistically do that. 

I'm sure GG + additional drywall will have some effect, I just think he's gonna be disappointed when the footfall noise doesn't magically disappear, considering how much money he's gonna spend.

I prefer to be cautious and not have angry customers calling me and screaming for their money back...

cooper

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 01:23:35 AM »
Green Glue wouldn't do much for impact noise from above.  If you can put the glue between the joists on the bottom side of the subfloor then it would help.

joel

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 06:25:41 PM »
Most Green Glue applications to existing ceilings use multiple layers of Green Glue and drywall in order to have any impact (no pun intended) on impact sound transmission.  Before you do the ceilings, you will need to do the walls to treat the flanking sound that structure-born noise always includes.  Even with all this, if you get a 40% reduction you're doing well.  Without removing the existing ceiling and using resilient decoupling this is about all you can expect to achieve.

anything