Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: which Milgard window?  (Read 6394 times)

simpy

which Milgard window?
« on: February 27, 2008, 02:18:23 AM »

I have decided to go with the Milgard Quiet Line windows.  Turns out the windows come in four levels of efficacy.  My inclination is to go with the most soundproof.  If I'm going to do it, might as well get it right the first time.  I am curious to hear what others have done or heard about.  There is about a $300 difference between each level. 

johnbergstromslc

Re: which Milgard window?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 03:16:10 AM »

What kind of STC ratings are we talking about?  Did Milgard give you any numbers?

simpy

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:28:07 PM »

Yes, I have much information.  It's all pretty confusing and expensive.  I am doing two windows in my office.  I'd like to start there and see what I think of the results.  The window I seem to be leaning toward is one that has three panes.  One is 3/16, then 1/8, then 3/16.  The STC rating for this window is 46.  The estimates I have recieved for both of these windows installed range from $1600 to $2500.  It is the mid-best selection.  Initially, I was leaning toward gettting the very best.  You know, hit it with everything I can so I'm not left wondering.  The very strongest window is 1/8, 7/32 laminated and 7/32 laminated.  These windows installed would be about $2000 more.  That's a lot of money.  My other thought is that I would like to make this project affordable enough so I can eventually do more rooms of my home.  The noise I am trying to dampen is a busy road one house away from me.  It's low rumbling traffic noise. 

Any thoughts would truly be appreciated.  I'm confused.

Mark Daveis

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 06:32:41 PM »

Installing one thick window with the amounts of glass mass you listed wont work for LF noise.
You will see some improvement at high pitched sounds but the low frequency performance wont be anywhere near 40 stc.
Ask them what the performance is at 125 Hz and below.
The best way to stop LF sound is 2 heavy layers of material separated by 2 inches of air space or more.
You could use 2 inches of the various plastic glass compounds to give you a double window system and maybe mlv curtains behind for extra which would be much cheaper but normal glass costs much more.
Use a sound meter to measure what the level is before paying out large amounts. :)

simpy

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 08:26:07 PM »

Thanks very much for this response!  Where can one purchase a sound meter?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 02:00:25 AM »

Well, considering your situation, I think STC 46 would be overkill - I wouldn't go that far. (Yes, I heard your wallet's sigh of relief, there...)

Keep in mind that your exterior wall probably has an STC rating in the low 40's, if that, so there is little sense in exceeding that value in a window.  Maybe even a bit less would do just fine, since the window is only a small percentage of the total area. 

Mark is right, the best way to kill noise is to have a large airspace.  If you find it aesthetically pleasing, simply install two 'regular' (read: inexpensive) window units in the sill with as large as possible airspace.  You can easily achieve STC 40+ and save a boatload of money, too.   

simpy

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 02:27:21 AM »

Thank you so much!  These responses have been extremely helpful. 

Mark Daveis

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 07:24:55 PM »

The low frequency rumble is very difficult to get rid of and you may be dissapointed with the low frequency performance when installed.
When we had our double glazing installed years ago I noticed only a slight improvement in the LF performance so get a cheap sound meter for about 50 to 100 dollars (google sound meter) then find out exactly what you are dealing with before paying out large amounts.
 :)

joel

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 08:11:58 PM »

Radio Shack has a good soundmeter - don't get the cheapest one, get the next one up.  Cat. No. 33-2050 works well for general purpose