Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: questions about magnetseal windows  (Read 4953 times)

churt

questions about magnetseal windows
« on: March 01, 2008, 12:57:17 AM »

I live next to a somewhat busy road, and I've been looking at doing the magnetseal solution for my windows, and i had the following questions:

A) Where is a good place to get acrylic?  I found a couple places online, but I think the freight charges are going to drastically increase the cost of the project.  Does anyone have recommend places in the Northern Virginia area?  If not, what category in the phone book would they be under?

B) Could I use glass?  Is there any benefit to using glass?

C) I have windows which are half circles.  Is there any recommended way of sound insulating these windows?  Could I just leave an air gap and caulk and epoxy the Plexiglas in place?

Thanks!

admin

Re: questions about magnetseal windows
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 02:39:16 AM »

I live next to a somewhat busy road, and I've been looking at doing the magnetseal solution for my windows, and i had the following questions:

A) Where is a good place to get acrylic?  I found a couple places online, but I think the freight charges are going to drastically increase the cost of the project.  Does anyone have recommend places in the Northern Virginia area?  If not, what category in the phone book would they be under?

B) Could I use glass?  Is there any benefit to using glass?

C) I have windows which are half circles.  Is there any recommended way of sound insulating these windows?  Could I just leave an air gap and caulk and epoxy the Plexiglas in place?

Thanks!
A)  Try to find a online supplier near you to minimize freight charges.  Look under "Plastics" "Sheet"
B) Glass is not recommended due to the danger in breakage.
C)You CAN just caulk in place, it will just be harder to remove them for cleaning, etc.  The magnetic tape makes this easy.

BJ Nash

joel

Re: questions about magnetseal windows
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 06:51:29 PM »

Or get out the yellow pages and look under "Plastic Retailers" in your local area.  Phone a couple or three for quotes for the size(s) you need.  That way you can just pick it up near you and avoid shipping charges.