Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: 85 dB 6 feet away from window  (Read 5003 times)

rat69

85 dB 6 feet away from window
« on: March 03, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »

I need a window for an office window located 6 feet away from a Radiator that produces 85 dB of noise (measured @ 3 feet from the equipment).
Does anybody knows what kind of window will give me a decent level of confort in that office? This is an industrial building so I don't expect people to be too confortable and take naps during the day. I will really apreciate any help.

admin

Re: 85 dB 6 feet away from window
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:13:04 PM »

I need a window for an office window located 6 feet away from a Radiator that produces 85 dB of noise (measured @ 3 feet from the equipment).
Does anybody knows what kind of window will give me a decent level of confort in that office? This is an industrial building so I don't expect people to be too confortable and take naps during the day. I will really apreciate any help.

How big is the window?

bj nash

Mark Daveis

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 05:56:14 PM »

You need to reduce the sound by about 40 db.
So you would need 2 panes of at least 3/4 inch thick glass seperated by an air space of more than 2 inches.
Or you could use 1 inch or more of perspex type material instead. :)

rat69

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 06:01:53 PM »

The window will be 48" x 48", fixed, no dividers.
Milgard Windows has one option that has a rating of 47 STC, is a little expensive (around $900) but is just what I was looking for.
Thanks for the answers.

joel

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 08:00:13 PM »

A Milgard replacement window would be the easist solution.  Here's their link 
http://www.milgard.com/products/vinyl-windows/
Or you could use multiple acrylic panels - well sealed with sound sealant.  Here's another link for framing system:
http://soundproofing.org/sales/magnetseal_windows.htm

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 09:40:43 PM »

Why not just replace the radiator with something newer?  85 dB is pretty ridiculous...

joel

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 06:22:46 PM »

Most effective (and expensive) solution is a laminated glass interior window add.  For info contact the company at
http://soundproofwindows.com/