Author Topic: Soundproof door that has 'gaps'  (Read 3062 times)

wwbee

Soundproof door that has 'gaps'
« on: March 07, 2008, 10:02:22 AM »
Please. I chance upon this thread recently...and need advice desperately!!!!!!!!! I have bedroom wooden doors which have gaps (special design which we now regret BADLY!). imagine a fat door frame, inside it, is made up of straight smaller vertical wooden vertical 'stick' about 3 inches, but each is 1 inch apart. it's almost like a cage concept, with vertical bar (but fat bars) in between.

So how do I sound this door so that when I sleep, i can't hear tv and talking noise? I m overseas...Asia...any resources where i can buy the materials..and whether available in Asia....

ANS: See http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/soundproofing_doors.htm

johnbergstromslc

Re: Soundproof door that has 'gaps'
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 01:45:44 AM »
Just replace the door with a solid-core unit with seals.  Any 'design' will have to be a surface treatment only.  Can't have holes in a soundproof partition.   

Mark Daveis

Re: Soundproof door that has 'gaps'
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 10:22:37 PM »
If you wanted to do it on the cheap then just nail about 2 inches thick of solid wood or 1 1/2 inches of board over the door which will give you about 20 stc. Put a sheet of rubber in between if you can to to help with the damping. Thats how they did it years ago when mlv and GG were not invented. :)