Author Topic: Soundproofing and quietrock  (Read 2948 times)

ldjoner1

Soundproofing and quietrock
« on: March 17, 2008, 10:26:51 PM »
I just moved in to a new condo (less than 1 year old).  I have 1 unit above me.  The floors are engineered hardwood.  I would like to minimize the heel and walking sound from above.  Will quiet rock 510, placed over the existing ceiling sheetrock reduce the heel and walking sound significantly or do I need to use a combination of materials?  There is no insulation in the ceiling.  The unit ceiling area is approximately 1100 square feet.   Should I have my old ceiling ripped out, spray installation and then replace the ceiling with quietrock?  What is the most economical way to handle this project yet get the best desired results?

johnbergstromslc

Re: Soundproofing and quietrock
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 11:48:56 PM »
Adding more drywall to your existing ceiling assembly won't help much.  You need to get some insulation in the cavities and hang the new ceiling (use 2 layers of 5/8" drywall but I'd skip the Quietrock.  A layer of Green Glue between sheets might help) on resilient channels or better yet isolation clips + hat channels.  Also be sure to do some good sealing around the perimeter and try to use 'airtight' boxes for any ceiling light fixtures. 

It won't make the noise go completely away, but it will help.  Impact noise is a tough one to fix....