Author Topic: most important rules of soundproofing  (Read 4207 times)

captaincat

most important rules of soundproofing
« on: March 18, 2008, 07:25:39 PM »
We've read the basics, we just don't know know where to begin...

We're a 4-piece (drums,bass,guitar,keys) living in a rented house in an academic neighborhood. We originally agreed not to play past 9pm however, recently the neighbors have expressed that although they support our endeavors, they are unable to concentrate and may take their complaints to the landlord if no measures are taken to dampen the sound.

To begin, here is a basic plan of the area:

As you can see, we are not playing in a room directly attached to the neighboring house. In fact with the help of two heavy mattresses over the windows, if you stand directly outside of our recording space, even the sound of erratic drumming is hardly noticeable. However, I will admit that inside the areas labeled 'Kitchen', 'Vestibule' and 'Rest of house', the lower frequencies of the bass amp and drums are an issue. When all doors (red) are shut, the noise in the area 'rest of house' is significantly quieter but still noticeable.

We are wondering whether it would be necessary to opt for the room-within-a-room method including a floating floor and ceiling or,
to save time and money (as we're all students as well),
try soundproofing the wall that leads out into the 'Kitchen' as well as installing exterior doors inside and soundproofing windows in the kitchen.

-Is most of the noise normally due to wall/ceiling/floor vibrations?
-Would we have to build a 4-walled room-within-a-room?
 i.e would there still be the same amount of vibration running through all of the existing walls if we built only 2 new walls (green in diagram) and attached them to the existing walls furthest from the neighbors with a matted material as a buffer at the connection.

Any help explaining the major sources of sound transfer as it applies to our situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time
-Jakob

johnbergstromslc

Re: most important rules of soundproofing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 09:44:29 PM »
Since you're living in a rented house, I wouldn't suggest spending any money on the place.  I doubt your landlord would appreciate a 'room in a room' that he'll just have to tear out after you move out.  He'll never authorize it...

Do yourselves and your neighbors a favor and either move or practice somewhere else. 

captaincat

Re: most important rules of soundproofing
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:15:48 AM »
well we don't plan on moving out anytime soon. also do note that this house is far worse than a fixer-upper already, if we have to build we will build.

I just want to know some thoughts on building 2 new walls... or the other options mentioned.