Author Topic: Is carpet worthless?  (Read 4383 times)

therindesign

Is carpet worthless?
« on: March 25, 2008, 02:59:39 AM »
My brother and I are renting a one car garage.  When we first started renting it it was completely hollowed out.  Basically a skeleton-you could see the studs.  The door is just a thin metal door that slides up on a track.
We got loads of free carpet off a store and put that to use.  Between the 2X4 studs we folded pieces of carpet and placed them within the studs and then covered the bare studs with carpet.  This is the same on all walls including the ceiling.  Maybe the only problem is the soundproofing on the garage door.  We just have a couple thick comforters hanging from the ceiling and I know that we need more there-working on it.
So we just got a drummer and this was his first day jamming at our finished place.  We lasted 15 minutes and someone not even in the complex we rent in banged on the door and asked us to shut down.  It can't be that loud.  It sounds awesome when you're in the room playing.  Sound is nice and even, nothing is bouncing around.  It's very frustrating.
We are going to get more carpet and hang it from the ceiling-six inches from the wall for dead space.  Probably hang up some more comforters or possibly carpet in front of the garage door-hanging from the ceiling maybe a foot apart.
We have a VERY limited budget and cannot afford high priced solutions.  Looking for a very thrifty fix.

Have we done anything right?  What does anyone suggest? 
Any advice would be most appreciated.

Mark Daveis

Re: Is carpet worthless?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 02:50:53 PM »
If you have a lot of layers and its really heavy then it will work but carpet does not usually weigh much. :)

Mark Daveis

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 08:48:50 PM »
Use poured concrete or blocks and cement as it works very well plus cheap. :)

therindesign

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 05:04:33 PM »
If we could use concrete we would.  But this is a garage we are renting in an apartment complex.  No go with the concrete blocks man.

Mark Daveis

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 11:11:48 AM »
I cannot think of anything cheap that you can take down later.
Thick wood boards works but is still going to cost a bit.
Maybe if you used large amounts of carpet for enough mass - as long as its quite heavy. :)

Mark Daveis

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 06:11:32 PM »
Just had an idea - if you can get carpet underlay. I mean the rubber type which is heavy and well damped so a few layers of this would work well like mlv as rubber is so damped. :)

therindesign

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 02:50:53 AM »
we found some of that stuff.  Put it on the garage door and layered it on one wall and put carpet over it.  Just did that yesterday.
Seems to be helping as we have not gotten any more complaints.

anything