Author Topic: Living above a bar  (Read 8542 times)

Vivienne

Living above a bar
« on: May 11, 2001, 06:26:52 PM »
I live above a bar that goes until 4 am. My room is tiny -- about 8' x 8' made of drywall and studs. Two of these walls are actually "fake" pressure walls that we had put in to make a 4th room in the apartment.
The bass coming from the music downstairs is the biggest problem. I'm right above their speakers, can feel the vibrations in the floor and hear it in my pillow. I have a small carpet, but it does almost nothing to alleviate the problem.
The noise coming from the street (I'm on the second floor) is a problem as well.
What are your suggestions, and approximately how much would it cost? (I don't have much money, so your most economical solution would be appreciated.)

bjnash

Re: Living above a bar
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2001, 08:01:24 PM »
: I live above a bar that goes until 4 am. My room is tiny -- about 8' x 8' made of drywall and studs. Two of these walls are actually "fake" pressure walls that we had put in to make a 4th room in the apartment.
: The bass coming from the music downstairs is the biggest problem. I'm right above their speakers, can feel the vibrations in the floor and hear it in my pillow. I have a small carpet, but it does almost nothing to alleviate the problem.
: The noise coming from the street (I'm on the second floor) is a problem as well.
: What are your suggestions, and approximately how much would it cost? (I don't have much money, so your most economical solution would be appreciated.)
:  
A vibration isolated floor may help and if the construction of such a floor is what you need to know, You may want to get a copy of the EPA reprint: "Quieting: A practical Guide to Noise Control", we've reprinted it as a public service and it's available for just postage and the photo copying costs - $15 PP ($18 Foreign). You can order from the web site with your credit card! http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/EPAmanual.htm
The link below will describ how to use our "Silencer" flooring to soundproof your floor.

Vivienne

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2001, 03:03:35 PM »
: : I live above a bar that goes until 4 am. My room is tiny -- about 8' x 8' made of drywall and studs. Two of these walls are actually "fake" pressure walls that we had put in to make a 4th room in the apartment.
: : The bass coming from the music downstairs is the biggest problem. I'm right above their speakers, can feel the vibrations in the floor and hear it in my pillow. I have a small carpet, but it does almost nothing to alleviate the problem.
: : The noise coming from the street (I'm on the second floor) is a problem as well.
: : What are your suggestions, and approximately how much would it cost? (I don't have much money, so your most economical solution would be appreciated.)
: :  
: A vibration isolated floor may help and if the construction of such a floor is what you need to know, You may want to get a copy of the EPA reprint: "Quieting: A practical Guide to Noise Control", we've reprinted it as a public service and it's available for just postage and the photo copying costs - $15 PP ($18 Foreign). You can order from the web site with your credit card! http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/EPAmanual.htm
: The link below will describ how to use our "Silencer" flooring to soundproof your floor.

I've noticed, from putting my ear up to the wall, that a lot of the music and noise from the bar is coming up the walls. How much of this will be reduced from the silencer flooring?
I understand that this stuff can go on the walls as well. In the interest of money, could I put a large floating panel on the walls, or is it necessary to run the mat from the floor to the ceiling?
Also, honestly speaking, how much of a difference is the matting that costs $16.90 from the one that costs $12.45? For my situation, a tiny room where I can hear the bass and the music from downstairs pretty darn clearly -- and for someone who doesn't have a lot of money -- which is the best choice?
Lastly, this "vibration isolated floor" you recommend sounds expensive to build and labor intensive. Is this true -- how does it compare to the "silencer" matting solution?

Vivienne

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2001, 03:13:15 PM »
: : : I live above a bar that goes until 4 am. My room is tiny -- about 8' x 8' made of drywall and studs. Two of these walls are actually "fake" pressure walls that we had put in to make a 4th room in the apartment.
: : : The bass coming from the music downstairs is the biggest problem. I'm right above their speakers, can feel the vibrations in the floor and hear it in my pillow. I have a small carpet, but it does almost nothing to alleviate the problem.
: : : The noise coming from the street (I'm on the second floor) is a problem as well.
: : : What are your suggestions, and approximately how much would it cost? (I don't have much money, so your most economical solution would be appreciated.)
: : :  
: : A vibration isolated floor may help and if the construction of such a floor is what you need to know, You may want to get a copy of the EPA reprint: "Quieting: A practical Guide to Noise Control", we've reprinted it as a public service and it's available for just postage and the photo copying costs - $15 PP ($18 Foreign). You can order from the web site with your credit card! http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/EPAmanual.htm
: : The link below will describ how to use our "Silencer" flooring to soundproof your floor.
:
: I've noticed, from putting my ear up to the wall, that a lot of the music and noise from the bar is coming up the walls. How much of this will be reduced from the silencer flooring?
: I understand that this stuff can go on the walls as well. In the interest of money, could I put a large floating panel on the walls, or is it necessary to run the mat from the floor to the ceiling?
: Also, honestly speaking, how much of a difference is the matting that costs $16.90 from the one that costs $12.45? For my situation, a tiny room where I can hear the bass and the music from downstairs pretty darn clearly -- and for someone who doesn't have a lot of money -- which is the best choice?
: Lastly, this "vibration isolated floor" you recommend sounds expensive to build and labor intensive. Is this true -- how does it compare to the "silencer" matting solution?
One more thing -- You recommended the "latest soundproofing acoustical foam" to "Randy." It's cheaper, it seems. Would this work for me?

Vivienne

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2001, 03:17:26 PM »
: : : I live above a bar that goes until 4 am. My room is tiny -- about 8' x 8' made of drywall and studs. Two of these walls are actually "fake" pressure walls that we had put in to make a 4th room in the apartment.
: : : The bass coming from the music downstairs is the biggest problem. I'm right above their speakers, can feel the vibrations in the floor and hear it in my pillow. I have a small carpet, but it does almost nothing to alleviate the problem.
: : : The noise coming from the street (I'm on the second floor) is a problem as well.
: : : What are your suggestions, and approximately how much would it cost? (I don't have much money, so your most economical solution would be appreciated.)
: : A vibration isolated floor may help and if the construction of such a floor is what you need to know, You may want to get a copy of the EPA reprint: "Quieting: A practical Guide to Noise Control", we've reprinted it as a public service and it's available for just postage and the photo copying costs - $15 PP ($18 Foreign). You can order from the web site with your credit card! http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/EPAmanual.htm
: : The link below will describ how to use our "Silencer" flooring to soundproof your floor.
:
: I've noticed, from putting my ear up to the wall, that a lot of the music and noise from the bar is coming up the walls. How much of this will be reduced from the silencer flooring?
: I understand that this stuff can go on the walls as well. In the interest of money, could I put a large floating panel on the walls, or is it necessary to run the mat from the floor to the ceiling?
: Also, honestly speaking, how much of a difference is the matting that costs $16.90 from the one that costs $12.45? For my situation, a tiny room where I can hear the bass and the music from downstairs pretty darn clearly -- and for someone who doesn't have a lot of money -- which is the best choice?
: Lastly, this "vibration isolated floor" you recommend sounds expensive to build and labor intensive. Is this true -- how does it compare to the "silencer" matting solution?
One more thing -- You recommended the "latest soundproofing acoustical foam" to "Randy." It's cheaper, it seems. Would this work for me? I've also heard that a thick felt (purchased from any fabric store) can do the trick. Is this true?

bjnash

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2001, 04:26:55 AM »
I live above a bar that goes until 4 am. My room is tiny -- about 8' x 8' made of drywall and studs. Two of these walls are actually "fake" pressure walls that we had put in to make a 4th room in the apartment.

:
Walls can be another problem
See the link about resilient channels: http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

It would be best to spend the money on sevral layers of the $12.45 stuff
It would be the best choice, then if it wasn't enough, the barrier could be used as well.

Common Sense

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2002, 12:13:00 AM »
MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

anything