Author Topic: Noise Control in My New APt  (Read 3988 times)

1fungirl

Noise Control in My New APt
« on: April 07, 2008, 09:15:25 PM »
I need help!...I just moved into a nice apt but my apt bedroom faces the street and I can hear all of the street noise and the windows let in a lot of sun so I can't sleep at the night or during the daytime. But the other problem is that the apt is old and I don't know if the acoustic plug/mat will work on the my windows.  It is one frame, but with 2 windows that meet in the middle...what do you recommend?

johnbergstromslc

Re: Noise Control in My New APt
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 02:55:33 AM »
Before you go and spend money on soundproofing products, you should get a white-noise machine and raise the ambient noise level in your bedroom.  You'll be amazed how well it masks intrusive noise.

Mark Daveis

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 10:20:38 PM »
Traffic noise is difficult to stop and even covering your windows with mass may not be enough as if its nearby then it can get through thin floors/walls and so on. But covering single pane windows will definately help as they dont usually stop much.
Do a sound survey first and check how much mass is in the walls/roof/floor and test the dB level of the noise. :)

joel

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 10:30:15 PM »
A great solution that has had "dramatic" results is the Magnetseal system.  It uses a framing and self-adhesive magnetic tape with 1/4" or 3/8" thick UV stabilized acrylic.  It will work with older, wood windows like yours.  Here is a link to information and a diagram: http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/magnetseal_windows.htm

This system mounts on the inside of your window frame and requires at least 1-2 inches of air space.