Author Topic: Loud music  (Read 2486 times)

jodyflorian

Loud music
« on: April 11, 2008, 02:39:36 PM »
Hi,

I'm looking to create a room for me to go as deaf as possible. LOTS of bass. I expect items to vibrate off tables.

The question is, how can I create a room that cuts out as close to 100% of the noise as possible? It will be separate to the house. I've read articles about having a room in a room, converting existing rooms. However I'll be building it from scratch so might as well get it right the first time. A long time ago I heard that the optimum insulation between walls for sound isolation is about 20cm but it seems quite arbitrary so am after some good information. What should the walls be made of? Is 20cm a good gap size? The walls should be quite easy, two layers of brick, breeze block or whatever. The next question is what to do about the ceiling? It's not so easy to create a brick ceiling but if it needs to be done, it needs to be done.

Suggestions/experience appreciated

Jody

johnbergstromslc

Re: Loud music
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:28:07 PM »
Jesus, are you for real??? 

Here's what you need to do.  Go out to the desert and find a secluded spot, miles from any human contact.  Dig a hole and build a concrete bunker with walls 24" thick and ceiling the same.  Cover with sand. 

I can honestly say that that will cut 100% of the noise and you will disturb no one. 

Or, an infinitely cheaper option - you could use headphones (which I'm sure you probably already own) and go deaf that way. 

Mark Daveis

Re: Loud music
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 08:15:29 PM »
You would need a room within a room at the least and you would need two separate roofs. Most likely you would use steel I beams and poured concrete for the roofs to get as much mass as the walls. And you would need a floating floor using say neoprene or springs.
For lots of bass like you say this wont be enough and with a double walled design you would need very thick walls of maybe a metre.
But the standard way to do this is a triple room design with normal thickness walls to get up to the 80 and 90stc values but a triple room is complex to build and expensive. So like John says cheaper to find a remote location and build a simple structure there. :)

anything