Author Topic: Water treatment pump  (Read 3649 times)

Banana Wind

Water treatment pump
« on: April 23, 2008, 12:07:32 PM »
My neighbor has a large circulation pump on his water reclaimation unit. By design they run 24/7. The unit is near the cement wall between our properties. There is already heavy landscaping but the noise renders one end of my veranda unusable.

The unit is a motor enclosed in a PVC housing. It is about a 3 ft cube.
I am willing to pay for any needed changes or modifications that will help reduce sound that passes toward my house.

I'd like your thoughts on three options
First an enclosed box. I suspect it would need to be open on one side
Second any soundproofing on my side of the wall including construction of a new wall advacent to the exiating wall.
Third a blanket

Whatever we use needs to be weather resistant. We live in the tropics on the coast and sun and humidity are a concern but I don't mind replacing the improvement every 3-5 yrs if it works.

Naturally I would like something economical but cost is less a concern than success.

joel

Re: Water treatment pump
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:19:11 PM »
The basic rule of soundproofing is to put something between the sound source and the target.  The closer to the sound source you put "it" the better it works.  Thus the most effective solution would be to put something that absorbs and blocks sound on the inside surface of the existing PVC housing - the motor noise source side.  The next best would be to apply the closed cell vinyl nitrile acoustic foam directly to the outside of the PVC housing.  Use the 2" thick material to cover the entire surface area - it can be painted with a high quality semi-gloss acrylic paint for weather resistance.  This solution was done with dramatic results by a high-rise condominium in Coronada, CA, right next to the Hotel Del Coronado.  They had a huge fan housing and inlet duct (4-5' square with 3'x4' duct) which provided continuous (24/7) airflow to the elevator shaft (9 story building).  It was tucked on the inside wall of one of the building wings with all the $300,000 studio units above.  Solved the problem - you couldn't hear the unit until you got within 3 feet - where before the noise going up the face of the building (all the studio balconies were above) made the units unsellable.
The closed cell vinyl nitrile foam both absorbs (.30 NRC) and blocks (25 STC) sound.  For info and pricing see the first product shown at 
http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html

anything