Author Topic: Help Me, PLEASE!!  (Read 4916 times)

templejazz82

Help Me, PLEASE!!
« on: May 16, 2008, 04:56:22 PM »
Hello Folks- I am new here, as of 5 minutes ago.  I just bought a townhouse and want to use a portion of the basement for teaching drums and recording music.  Now, I know people on other forums have said "it is impossible to be 100 percent soundproof" and "unless you have alot of $$$, dont waste your time".  I am looking to get the best STC for my buck, without spending thousands of dollars.  Right now, the contruction I have is a concrete wall in the basement, which is the one shared wall with our neighbors.  This is an END unit townhouse, by the way.  The ceilings are 8 feet high.  Right now, the concrete wall, which I beleive is 8" thick, is finished on both sides (my house and his house).  Both finishing is done with Single Drywall over 2x4 studs.  My plan was to A) rip down what is existing there and put up either a Double wall (2x4, 4" of space, 2x4), or put up a 2x6 staggered stud wall, or B) put additional drywall over the existing drywall (it is 5/8" thick).  I have the option to do both, so what would be the best method for that wall? 

Also, I am thinking of doing something to the ceiling.  Right now, it is a drop ceiling with 2x2' panals.  I can replace that as well, if nessecary. 

Since the teaching will provide good income, spending a little is an option.  Again, not thousands and thousands, but you get the point.  Also, I have a few people helping me with the contruction itself.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Matt

johnbergstromslc

Re: Help Me, PLEASE!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 11:02:07 PM »
Well, the fact that you have an end unit is a big help.  But you used 'drums' and 'recording music' in your post, so that advantage is negated. 

Go for a 'room in a room' - an independent wood-framed structure on top of the slab.  Don't connect it to the existing framing (you may have to provide for some kind of cross-bracing of the walls to provide good shear strength, but you can buy long lengths of metal strapping for that purpose).  Use insulation, double 5/8" drywall on the walls and ceilings, keep doors/windows/penetrations to a minimum and do some good sealing.  You'll have to figure out some way to ventilate the room without leaking too much sound. 

That's what I'd recommend.  You didn't say how big your space was, but the cost may well run into the 4 figures.  But if it's going to generate income, it'll pay for itself.  If you can do your teaching thing without having to worry about the cops showing up or getting fined by the HOA, isn't that worth spending a bit more upfront?   

templejazz82

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 02:10:11 PM »
Thanks John- I agree 100 % that more money upfront to save heartache in the end is exactly how it should be done.  I either want to do this 100% or not at all, ya know?  No reason to waste money if it is not going to work.  Thanks!

joel

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »
Double row of wood studs on separate plates only gives you around 3 STC better than staggared 2x4 studs on 6" plate - so the later would be preferred from a space and $ stand point.  For insulation I would recommend bonded cotton insulation in the wall/cieling cavity - it really does work better for soundproofing (all drum rooms that have used it have proven this).  For mid to high frequency range sound use a layer of MLV directly to studs/joists.  For a decoupler isolation tape is the easiest and efffective - put in right on top of the MLV layer on studs (top and bottom plate), and joists.  Then use double dry wall with Green Glue to lower the resonant frequency of the assembly and block bass (Green Glue kills the vibration).
Here are links which discuss the above suggested materials: 
for bonded cotton insulation see http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/natural_fiber.htm 
for MLV see    http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm 
for Green Glue see  http://soundproofing.org/ggpages.htm