Author Topic: Room In a Room  (Read 3447 times)

hell167

Room In a Room
« on: May 21, 2008, 08:17:31 PM »
Hi, I'm new here, I have a couple of questions as I am thinking on starting a basment room in a room project.  First off, how much of a space should I put between the original walls and the walls of my smaller room within?  Im getting some mixed answers on this one, ranging from a foot to 1 inch... For the walls of the room within, should I place drywall on both sides of that frame?  I've also heard that lowering your ceiling too low would have negative affects, is this true? and if so what is too low? My ceiling is only about 8 feet off the ground.

Thank you for your time and answers.

hell167

Re: Room In a Room
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 08:08:59 PM »
oh come on.. No one?

Mark Daveis

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 09:31:38 PM »
Use about 4 inches of air space. 2 inches or less acts like a solid and more of say a foot or larger wont give that much of a gain.
You need 2 separate roofs as well with as much air space. It does not matter if you put drywall only on one side as long as you have enough unit mass - say 30 kg/msq or more for walls and roof, doors windows.
Is this for a studio or for Soundproofing your single family home from traffic noise and neighbors as its in this section? :)

hell167

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 01:30:36 AM »
Its more for a home theater/entertainment room... My wife works during the night so she sleeps during the day, and needless to say, I don't wanna bother her when she sleeps... So I considered it more as sound proofing myself(traffic) from my wife. hahaha!

Thanx for your help!

joel

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 04:49:32 PM »
Here is a link to an article which discusses fully the "room in a room" concept.  It is titled garage band practice but it applies to what you want to create in your basement: http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/garage.htm
There also is a story on soundproofing a basement at http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/basement.html

anything