Author Topic: ....can I trust "foam-by-mail"?...........  (Read 5186 times)

redhankyspanky

....can I trust "foam-by-mail"?...........
« on: June 18, 2008, 04:33:42 PM »
Hello all, new to the board. Interesting stuff you guys have going on here.

To the point: My wife and I are buying our first house, and I have staked a claim on the fourth bedroom, as a music room. Im thinking Im going to double up on the sheetrock on the interior (ceiling too), with a healthy dose of silicone elastic stuff between (I simply cant afford the "green glue").

anyhow after all thats said and done, I want to line the walls with studio foam, which as we all know is expensive. I found a cheaper alternative, but Im not sure if the quality is the same:
http://www.foambymail.com/Products.html

Is this stuff the same "grade" as what they sell for 32 square feet per $100.00 at MusiciansFriend.com? Or is this vastly cheaper?

I know this isnt going to help for soundproofing per se, I mostly am looking for sound deadening qualities and simple asthetics. This is to be my first music room, and I just want it to look professional and cool as hell.

Should I stay away from this company though? Does anybody here have any experience with them or their products?

http://www.foambymail.com/Products.html

thanks in advance,
Hank

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
Re: ....can I trust "foam-by-mail"?...........
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 02:47:59 AM »
Nothing wrong with selling "mattress" foam, but you can buy it much cheaper locally- don't smoke around it.
Regarding "silicone elastic" as a substitue for Green Glue- some things can ENHANCE sound transfer.  (Maybe what you're not looking for...)

You need professional help and you can get it here.  Keep posting!
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

redhankyspanky

Re: ....can I trust "foam-by-mail"?...........
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:13:43 PM »

Well, I tried to go the cheaper route, and got severely burned.

See the picture to get an idea of the pure crap that "foam-by-mail" is trying to pass off as "bass traps". The fact that they bill their foam as "sound-proofing foam" should have been a red flag, but I thought I was saving money.

I found some Auralex bass traps on craigslist, and I figured Id take a chance on these cheap things, to compare the two. There really is no comparison, as you can see.

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM "FOAM-BY-MAIL"!!!

I contacted the FBM people, they told me to "wait 3 to 5 days for it to resume its shape". A week later, and they look just like the pictures: the same. These pieces of garbage have no definable shape or corners.

Dont waste your money or time on these hacks. Im going with Auralex, like I should have to begin with. You cant save money by going with "foam-by-mail".

A complete waste of time.

By the way, I did bite the bullet and get green glue. Its worth the cost, totally. I discovered you cant cheap out on this kind of thing. If you try, you will only end up getting ripped off by charlatans who dont stand behind the product they sell.

Save your money up, and do it right. Im glad I discovered what crap foam-by-mail is before I made the mistake of buying from them to outfit my studio out back.