Author Topic: sound proofing windows that face a freeway  (Read 4915 times)

NEED SLEEP

sound proofing windows that face a freeway
« on: June 22, 2008, 08:51:28 AM »
Hello Everyone:  I am renting an apartment in Los Angeles and I am losing sleep every night.  My bedroom window (which is 2 pane and slides) faces the freeway but I can still hear the cars.  I have French doors in the living room that also allow noise from the freeway to come in.  Can anyone suggest a cost effective way to insulate my place from the noise and STILL let me open the doors and windows?  U have heard about MAGNET SEAL FRAMING and HEAVY DRAPES... but do those work?  Thank you in advance for your help.  It's a pretty cool apartment and I have moved in all my stuff.  I don't want to move AGAIN, due to lack of sleep and constant noise. 

Mark Daveis

Re: sound proofing windows that face a freeway
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 08:39:45 PM »
That sort of freeway noise is loud like thunder and has plenty of bass so no way you are going to stop it with some heavy drapes and magnet seal. You need a properly designed sound proofing solution so need to look at all areas including roof, floor and walls and so on.
Get a sound level meter and measure what levels you are exposed to first. If you dont do a proper job you will just be wasting your money. :)

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 10:04:32 PM »
Aside from an occasional overloaded truck, I seriously doubt the noise is "like thunder".  Maybe if he lived under an overpass...

I think he's probably dealing with a constant, higher-pitched noise, the kind made by tires traveling at high speed. 

Nobody can do a "proper job" soundproofing when they're renting.  Irrevocably sinking money into someone else's property is an excellent way for someone to "waste their money"...

Try the magnaseal.  They'll offer an improvement over what you have now. 

Mark Daveis

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 10:36:02 PM »
If its mostly the high pitched noise then you should not have much problems as its still possible to sleep even if it gets through.

But if you are getting a lot of the boom-boom noise like motorcycles and tractor trailers revving engine noise with lots of bass and at loud levels then I would just move as it will be a waste of money. This sort of noise even goes through thick single walls and also really depends how near you are to the source.

Its not really possible to sleep through this type of noise if its very frequent. :)

joel

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 03:29:39 PM »
If you really want to get some results from your soundproofing on the existing windows, go with laminated galss.  Here is a link to the company that does this:
http://soundproofwindows.com/

anything