Author Topic: Smart or downright stupid?  (Read 2686 times)

Chris1

Smart or downright stupid?
« on: July 18, 2008, 07:30:04 AM »
Some quick facts.
- Need to stop sound from home theatre in basement going upstairs.

- No door and no wall, looks kindof like this http://www.dimitrina-dimova.co.uk/062/062.8.jpg
  But its shorter distance from roof to stairs/floor.

- Looking for pure DIY building materials, no fancy expensive stuff.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My plan (not an expert).

Build a small hollow wall made from wood to go along the edge of the stairs up to the point when it turns at a right angle.
Then fill the gap inside with sandbags.

Then i would be left with a nice door shape. But instead of inserting a hinged door which has lots of gaps and creeks.
I was thinking of making a hollow door out of wood. (door shaped coffin/casket).
But then i attach handles to this 'casket' so i can just pull or push it in or out of the door frame.. I will make it airtight around the edges aswell.
Then i fill the hollow with sandbags? I wont fill it with so much sand that i wont be able to lift it in and out of place.

Probably not the easiest solution but i was hoping some experts here could help me out.

I need to make a barrier to stop the sound somewhere on the stairs.

Is there any better building material than sandbags?

Mark Daveis

Re: Smart or downright stupid?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 09:55:18 PM »
Build a wood door box and wall with compartments so you can pour the sand over the top which is better than bagging it.
The thick heavy wood will also work well to stop noise.
Sand works almost as well as poured concrete if you keep it dry and better than mlv and other exprnsive materials.
If you just put sand bags at the bottom it wont work because it has to be uniform from bottom to top of door or wall. ;D

anything