Author Topic: Garage workshop questions  (Read 3054 times)

Joe Del Rosso

Garage workshop questions
« on: May 16, 2001, 05:42:24 AM »
I'm trying to soundproof a garage workshop.  It's an attatched cinder block building built on a concrete slab.  I'm going to frame out a new set of walls leaving a 6" air gap.  
    What is the preferred method of attaching your vibration pads?  Do I place them on the concrete floor, place my bottom frame rail on top, and nail them into the concrete floor?  Will this allow for enough movement?  Do I also rest the drywall on them?  On the same pad the frame sits on?
    Also if I use double or triple drywall on one side of the wall would it be better to use furring strips to seperate each layer or just tack them all together?
Thanks!

bjnash

Re: Garage workshop questions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2001, 04:15:05 AM »
:      I'm trying to soundproof a garage workshop.  It's an attatched cinder block building built on a concrete slab.  I'm going to frame out a new set of walls leaving a 6" air gap.  
Excellent idea!
:      What is the preferred method of attaching your vibration pads?  Do I place them on the concrete floor, place my bottom frame rail on top, and nail them into the concrete floor?  Will this allow for enough movement?  Do I also rest the drywall on them?  On the same pad the frame sits on?
Yes.  Just don't nail to the floor, caulk the sill in place.
:      Also if I use double or triple drywall on one side of the wall would it be better to use furring strips to seperate each layer or just tack them all together?
No furring strips, but better to use dis-similar materials like soundboard/drywall and use adhesive to hold them together.  If this is for drums, I'd use a layer of tile backer board on the existing walls/ceiling first.
: Thanks!

Joe Del Rosso

Re: Garage workshop questions
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2001, 10:12:23 PM »
: :      I'm trying to soundproof a garage workshop.  It's an attatched cinder block building built on a concrete slab.  I'm going to frame out a new set of walls leaving a 6" air gap.  
: Excellent idea!
: :      What is the preferred method of attaching your vibration pads?  Do I place them on the concrete floor, place my bottom frame rail on top, and nail them into the concrete floor?  Will this allow for enough movement?  Do I also rest the drywall on them?  On the same pad the frame sits on?
: Yes.  Just don't nail to the floor, caulk the sill in place.
I'm still a little unclear about one thing.  What is the best way to secure the header and footer of the new wall to the existing garage?  I would like the wall to float so I don't think I want to nail the header to the ceiling and the footer to the concrete, is this correct?  That would tie everything rigidly together.    
Would I want to use a rubber mat under the footer and above the header of my new wall?  If so, how can I attach the beams to the existing structure while still allowing the wall to float?  Here’s an example of what I mean:
Step 1 - I place the rubber mat on the concrete floor.  
Step 2 - I place the new footer on top of the rubber mat.  
Step 3 - I secure the footer & mat to the concrete floor using??
Step 4 – I place a rubber mat on the header.
Step 5 – I attach the new header & mat to the ceiling using??
Step 6 – I attach the vertical studs between the header and footer.
Is this what I want to be doing, or should I not use the rubber pads for this application.  If so, please help me with #3 and #5.  You mentioned caulk but I don’t think that will be strong enough to keep the wall in place.
Thanks,
- Joe

anything