Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: noisy glass sliding door, new condo  (Read 4035 times)

istart

noisy glass sliding door, new condo
« on: August 15, 2008, 12:42:40 PM »

I have bought a new condo two months ago (I singed the contract on plan, it was not built aleady), I knew it was near a highway, but I could not imagine how noisy it is inside specialy at nigth a lot of truck passe by. I have a large sliding door in the bed room although it is standard double pane but still a lot of noise is entering inside and I feel resonance on the glass that distrub me when sleeping.

I was thinking to try to make the builder installing laminated glass (change the windows) since the sound isolation quality of current windows is not good. It is very costly for me to pay for it. anyone has tried this? is this legale?

joel

Re: noisy glass sliding door, new condo
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 03:10:42 PM »

Yes, adding laminated glass to the inside of the sliding doors is the best way to go.  It is expensive but it will reduce the noise better than alternatives since you are feeling vibrations on the glass from the traffic noise.  Using heavy, triple thick, hotel quality drapes across the opening will also help damp the noise.  Use a drape that is 1/3 to 1/2 again as wide as the opening (and extend it 8-12" past the opening on the sides).  Be sure to have plenty of accordion fold to the drape when it is closed - this is what traps and absorbs the sound.

angartist

Re: noisy glass sliding door, new condo
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 01:23:37 AM »

Would love to hear what solution professorkev went with and how it worked out. I have been considering getting 2 soundproof windows or getting 2 window plugs. I may try the plugs first since they are cheaper.