Author Topic: How to check dead airspace created  (Read 4544 times)

Matkwan

How to check dead airspace created
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:55:53 PM »
Hi
I've installed the interior window as suggested in this forum, but still hear traffic noises. How can I check that the windows and gaps have been properly sealed & that a dead airspace have been created?   
Pls advise. Thanks.

johnbergstromslc

Re: How to check dead airspace created
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:24:38 PM »
You might want to buy or borrow a sound level meter.  If you can get accurate readings of the interior window open/original window closed vs. both closed, you can find out if you have a problem with sealing, or perhaps your expectations were unrealistically high.  If the difference in noise is less than 6 dB, you probably have a leak. 

Make a test first, then write back with the results.  Also, what kind of window did you install?  Was it a store-bought unit or did you fashion your own with plexiglass?  Describe what kind of sealing you did, both for the existing window and added one.     

Mark Daveis

Re: How to check dead airspace created
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 10:56:13 PM »
Yes use a cheap sound meter and if the increase is 15 stc or more then its a good job but I would not expect much more.
Did you use about 20 kg/msq mass minimum?
Still if the traffic noise is loud like tractor trailers or motor bikes at full blast then this would have limited effect and especially on the LF sound unless you do some serious soundproofing. :)