Author Topic: Upstairs neighbors, not a new issue, Which way to go??  (Read 13177 times)

mossman

Re: Upstairs neighbors, not a new issue, Which way to go??
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 04:37:11 PM »
I am 99% sure the corners are mudded.  In fact in the living room, I supposedly have the same RTC but I also have crown molding!!!  From what I have read that can't be good.  I would hae the same drum effect you mention.  So I have little faith in the contractor actually doing the correct thing.  I am pretty sure he just did the RTC just so he could meet code.

In any event I thought of cutting back the drwall and adding acoustic sealant.  I just am unsure if it will really help that much since I hear mostly impact noise.  99% of what I hear is rumbling, walking..  If they start running or jumping up there, I REALLY know it.  Happened last night, but it is very rare.  I only hear voices of they scream or laugh really loud. 

So.. I guesss I can start by looking at the corners.  I could start small and just do my bathroom and see if there is a noticable difference.  My bathroom is directly under their kitchen by their sink.  As you can imagine I get the most noise there.

If I go further, I will probably apply a few layers of gg and drywall directly to their subfloor.  I think that has the best chance of working dampening the noise at the source.  Then use sound clips and two more layers of drywall and GG.  Still undecided if I want to go that far... 

joel

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 05:32:35 PM »
right.  Try the two layers w/gg on the subfloor and see how much it helps.  Then go after the ceiling side.  In situations like yours it is almost always necessary to treat both the source AND the receiver side.  and then the darn structure-borne sound will always try to flank down the walls.  Usually, the walls are done first with gg and another layer of dry wall and then the ceiling.  As for the crown molding - it needs to be attached only to the walls and leave a gap at ceiling - caulk that gap w/acoustic caulk - that way it is decoupled from ceiling vibration transfer.

daryy

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 07:19:55 AM »
 :o :oThat much concrete is great for soundproofing but nowadays lots of building companies concentrate on most profit while using the cheapest materials and just covering building regulations.