Author Topic: New sound clips. Good?  (Read 12734 times)

mossman

New sound clips. Good?
« on: August 22, 2008, 01:05:46 PM »
Anybody hear of these "Whisper Clips" ??  Any thoughts??

ericpollard

Re: New sound clips. Good?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 02:16:06 PM »
These clips have not really been officially released yet so you won't be able to find them on any other websites and you will only be able to find a limited amount of information on the clips.  Mostly from my site, http://www.greengluestore.com.  They are manufactured by a highly respected company in the sound isolation market and have tested better than both RSIC-1 and IsoMax clips.  They are also considerably less than RSIC-1 and IsoMax clips. 

More information will be released on the clips in the coming months as the clips are officially released for sale to the public.  If you have any specific questions about the clips that you cannot find the answers to on my site then contact me through my website and I will make an inquiry to the manufacturer.

The clips are definitely a high quality clip that will likely be THE clip to use in sound isolation projects in the near future.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 09:15:12 PM »
I'd say stay away from a cut-rate copy of an existing product that works well enough.  Isomax/SSP clips work just fine, eat up less floor area/ceiling height than these new clips and bought in bulk, cost $5.25 each.   

ericpollard

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 06:56:38 AM »
I'd say stay away from a cut-rate copy of an existing product that works well enough.  Isomax/SSP clips work just fine, eat up less floor area/ceiling height than these new clips and bought in bulk, cost $5.25 each.   

Even though I admittedly have limited experience with these clips I would say they are far from being a 'cut-rate copy'.  It is a different design that has shown improvements in both STC and OITC tests compared to RSIC-1 and IsoMax clips.  IsoMax and WhisperClips are the same depth and both take less head room than the RSIC-1 clips. 

You can purchase WhisperClips in small quantities right now for $5 a clip and in bulk (depending on how many you need) for as low as $4 per clip.

I understand the skepticism, but there are sound tests that prove they work, dimensions on our site that show they do not take up more space, and pricing information that is more competitive than IsoMax and RSIC-1.  IsoMax/SSP clips may work 'just fine' but these clips are better and cheaper, so why not?

If you make an order for these clips and you don't approve of their quality or question their functionality then send them back and I will give you a full refund for the product and shipping.

So to answer the original poster.  These clips are legit, don't pass them up just because they are new and not as well known as RSIC-1 and IsoMax.  If you have anymore questions follow the link at the top and send me an e-mail or talk to me on live chat.  I am more than willing to discuss these clips further.  I did not intend to advertise on this forum in any way.  I noticed a few people were referred to my site through this forum so I came over here to check it out.  Thanks for the interest, let me know if you have any questions.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 01:27:43 AM »
On the link you provided, it stated that these clips, with 2 layers of 5/8" drywall on each side (insulation, presumably) rates an STC of 63.  Well, Isomax rates a 64 in the same configuration, so I'd be interested in how you define them as "better".....

Until you can offer vastly greater performance or a tangible savings (~ $3-4 per clip instead of $5), I see no reason to switch. 

ericpollard

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 09:28:53 PM »
The tests results were done at the same time, in the same place, using the same setup.  The IsoMax clips may rate a 64 in the same configuration tested somewhere else, but as we all know sound tests can vary in different labs.  There may have been something different about the IsoMax test that gave them a 64 in not the same, but very similar configuration. 

I did not do the tests myself and I did not alter the test results in any way.  If you were to test these clips the same way the IsoMax clips were tested when they achieved the 64 STC rating then these clips would still beat the IsoMax STC rating. 

The WhisperClip is a more effective clip and at a lower cost then both IsoMax and RSIC-1.  Whether WhisperClips are $2 less per clip or .10 cents less per clip, it is a more effective clip that costs less.  Why pay more for something less effective? 

jbslc, if you would like to send me any more e-mails regarding this then I have no problem with continuing this discussion.  Beyond that I think my points have been made and consumers will make the right decision and go for the clip that is more effective and costs less. 

On the link you provided, it stated that these clips, with 2 layers of 5/8" drywall on each side (insulation, presumably) rates an STC of 63.  Well, Isomax rates a 64 in the same configuration, so I'd be interested in how you define them as "better".....

Until you can offer vastly greater performance or a tangible savings (~ $3-4 per clip instead of $5), I see no reason to switch. 

bjnash

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 10:19:50 PM »
The Super Soundproofing Co does not sell these clips.  Not for any other reason than we sell our own at
http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/AS-1.htm which is even cheaper and much more versatile   than the others. (Patent Applied For).

We haven't  recommended ours for ceilings as we have not completely verified the long term holding capacity and they can be overloaded (as any can).  (I guess we could vouch for the long term holding as they've been in our test fixture for 2 years now, but..)

For an all-around "Certified" clip- the SSP-1 is our choice and the small savings over the other clip- the "Whisper Clip" is not worth the questions about it. (Mainly the attaching screws don't appear to be floating). Anyway, except in extreme situations, a passive solution is better.  (Like more mass, etc).

I hope those of you in the market for any soundproofing products will give us the business in appreciation for maintaining this site and providing the answers and services we offer.

BJ Nash

PS
I'd like remind everyone to stay on topic and ask and answer the questions at hand.  Leave personalities out of it.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 12:09:22 AM »
The tests results were done at the same time, in the same place, using the same setup.  The IsoMax clips may rate a 64 in the same configuration tested somewhere else, but as we all know sound tests can vary in different labs.  There may have been something different about the IsoMax test that gave them a 64 in not the same, but very similar configuration. 

I did not do the tests myself and I did not alter the test results in any way.  If you were to test these clips the same way the IsoMax clips were tested when they achieved the 64 STC rating then these clips would still beat the IsoMax STC rating. 

The WhisperClip is a more effective clip and at a lower cost then both IsoMax and RSIC-1.  Whether WhisperClips are $2 less per clip or .10 cents less per clip, it is a more effective clip that costs less.  Why pay more for something less effective? 

jbslc, if you would like to send me any more e-mails regarding this then I have no problem with continuing this discussion.  Beyond that I think my points have been made and consumers will make the right decision and go for the clip that is more effective and costs less. 

The link for the STC rating of Whisperclips you provided only gave a number, not a downloadable file from an independent third-party acoustical lab describing in detail the specimen setup, TL numbers and conclusions of the test, as is customary in acoustical products.  Until the company that manufactures these clips is willing to make that information readily available, the STC number of 63 is suspect.  I'm sure that number is achievable but the proof is in the pudding.  I'm way too cynical to 'take it on good faith'.  Whisper clips are too new, too unproven.  And, nothing personal, but you're trying to make money from these things, so you're far from impartial.  I'll wait for the word on the street before I decide to use them.

As for cost, there is no advantage in using the new clips, since I have a local source for Isomax clips and as I previously stated I can get them for $5.25 (<100 qty) or $5.00 (>100 qty.)  Lead time: zero days.  Shipping cost: zero.  Usually, anybody who lives near a large metro area can do a little research and find a similar supplier.       

As I said, if you can prove they work as well as Isomax/SSP clips and get the cost down to 3-4 bucks, I might consider trying them.

ericpollard

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 05:08:51 PM »

Here is 1 sound test for these clips.  E-mail us through our site if you have any more questions. 

http://www.greengluestore.com/v/ClipTest.pdf

joel

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 12:50:50 AM »
hello eric - thank you for your clarification.  please accept my public apology for any harm done by my silly sarcasm based on unsubstantiated rumor - it is not appropriate for this forum.  i stepped on your toes and you retaliated, understandably.  and thank you for reminding me of my responsibility to have an open mind and tolerate other's opinions and understandings of all solutions available in the marketplace.

amanda.940

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
First I can´t understand that anybody don´t like this forum ... I think it´s great...
And second the link is pretty good ... thank´s for posting..