Author Topic: Sleepless...treadmill...ceiling noise...  (Read 3707 times)

S. Kaplan

Sleepless...treadmill...ceiling noise...
« on: May 17, 2001, 03:18:11 PM »
I bought my condo in New Jersey last spring and I love my apartment.  My upstairs neighbor also bought hers at that time. Her two bedrooms were carpeted. She had a quiet roommate who was never home and she herself was also at home very little.  After she bought her apartment, she pulled up the rugs and bought a treadmill.  In addition, she got a new roommate who is loud and inconsiderate.  Both women now come home between 8 p.m. and 2 a.m. every night.  They clomp around on hardwood floors in heels.  I can hear doors and dresser drawers opening and closing, music, t.v., furniture being moved around the floors, etc.  When the one of them does take her shoes off, she drops them on the floor and they make a loud bang.  Even with her shoes off, she is very loud.  In addition to this, when she and her roommate used her treadmill, it would be for about an hour each night at least, the noise was really bad! the ceiling would vibrate, my light fixture would shake, and even started falling out of my ceiling.  At that point I took the light fixture down and after wondering what effect all of this was having on my ceiling, noticed that my ceiling was cracked.  I first rented my apartment 6 years ago.  At that time the apartment was being renovated.  The building is from the 20's or 30's and they covered the existing plaster ceilings with some sort of board or sheetrock?  After writing complaint letters they stopped using the treadmill, but my ceilings in two rooms where they used this machine are now damaged and I am afraid that they will fall down.  Where the edges of the boards meet the ceiling, there is a coninuous crack around the perimeter of the ceiling.  She refuses to pay for the damage and has started purposefully making as much noise as possible.
So, in conclusion, I have the following questions:
Is it legal for them to have such heavy equipment on hardwood floors?
Can I prove that the damage was caused by them if I don't have pictures of the ceilings as they looked when they were first put in six years ago?
Is this sort of cracking normal after only six years?
As I will have to somehow get these two ceilings replaced, I want to soundproof them at the same time.  Can you recommend how I can do that on a tight budget?
Can you recommend any good contractors in New jersey?
What sort of information do I need to know about the ceilings in order to communicate with a contractor?
Thankyou in advance

anything