Author Topic: Drywall installation idea  (Read 4981 times)

muddyray

Drywall installation idea
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:38:25 PM »
If one of the techniques for sound proofing is to isolate the drywall from the framing, could I not do something as simple as this? I was thinking of gluing some 1/8" rubber washers or some other vibration dampening material on only 3 places on the stud - top, middle, and bottom. I would install the drywall and only attach it to the stud in precisely those 3 places on the stud, thereby creating a space between the majority of the drywall and the stud. It would seem to me that I'm significantly decreasing the contact, thereby the transmitting of vibration from the drywall to the framing ....and pretty cheaply. Shoot holes in my theory, please.

BTW, this is for a 300 sq.ft. room off the back of my detached garage.

Thanks

Mark Daveis

Re: Drywall installation idea
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:21:07 PM »
How would you attach heavy drywall using just rubber washers?
Even one nail or screw would cause a rigid connection which the LF sound can easily pass along so it wont work.
Studio designers use double studs with no contact between the 2 walls or use spring mounted connections which are not as good as double studs but still acceptable.
Realize that reducing the area to a very small amount with just one rigid contact point can leak stc.
Dont waste your time and money and just do the same as the pro builders do. :)

Think about slapping a piece of drywall fixed to a frame by just one nail and this will cause the whole frame to shake and this is what you are trying to overcome.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 12:43:20 AM »
Yeah, I agree - don't try and reinvent the wheel.  Tried and true techniques and materials already exist. 
Use staggered studs, double studs, resilient channel or isomax clips to decouple (after insulating) and get at least 2 layers of drywall for mass, do some good sealing. 

muddyray

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 03:39:13 PM »
Thanks, guys. That's what I was looking for.

joel

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 06:31:58 PM »
Or just use isolation tape continuous on studs, base and top plate, joists, and forget all the fancy resilient, easy to screw up, channels.  For info on using tapes in soundproofing see
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/Tape.htm

anything