Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: ....angled or parallel?.........  (Read 4877 times)

redhankyspanky

....angled or parallel?.........
« on: September 04, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »

Hello,
Hank here. I have a question:

I am in the process of converting a bedroom into a mixdown/vocal room, and I have added the extra layer of sheetrock, with green glue, put up some auralex....all that good stuff.

Now Im down to the window. I spent a while looking at different options, and I finally just threw down and ordered a huge piece of 1/2" laminated glass. Im going to install it inside the existing window in the room (a pretty decent vinyl unit, with insulated glass).

My question is: should the new glass be positioned parallel with the existing window, or should I angle the glass?

I was initially thinking it should be angled, but in the auralex literature, it says they should be parallel.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Hank

Mark Daveis

Re: ....angled or parallel?.........
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 11:17:50 PM »

It does not make that much difference but just make sure you have more than 2 inches of air space in there for maximum performance. :)

redhankyspanky

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 12:51:19 PM »

Thanks Mark. I went with a parallel placement. On the green glue website, it advocates using the angled method, and on the auralex page it says to place it parallel. I went with parallel to ensure more airspace.

Right now, Im in the process of looking for some silica gel packs (sp) of some kind, to throw in there to absorp moisture. Any thoughts on products or substitutes?

Thank you for your sound advice, you are the man.

thanks,
Hank

redhankyspanky

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:53:52 PM »

Hey man, Hank here again,

I found something. I went to the hardware store, where they showed me this huge pad thing (it was all they had to absorb moisture). As I was headed to the checkout, I saw the feedstore, and went over to ask if they had some extra silica gel packs, like you can find in bottles of vitamins or pills. The guy was cool and gave me a bag full of them.

Window problem solved!

thanks for the advice,
Hank

Mark Daveis

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 01:44:47 AM »

We have sealed unit double glazing on our house windows and as far as I can tell they have small drainage/vent channels cut at the base where it touches the aluminium frame. So I think they do it like this as holes of a few milimetres wont make any difference to the soundproofing and I have never seen any water or condensation inside the 2 glass panes. :)

joel

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 10:29:12 PM »

Hey Hank,
Did you already close it up? 
Hope you didn't mount the great piece of lami you got on the same frame as the existing window without using some closed cell vinyl nitrile foam (1/4" thick) to line the insides of the perimeter (and even to set the lami on).  most windows like you're doing have at least 3-4" air space between the glass (2" minimum at one end and 4" or more to the other if you're slanting the glass). 
Glad to hear your scored the silica bags.
 And I'm sure you made sure it is at least well sealed (caulked) all around the perimeter.