Author Topic: Need help with low frequency bleed!  (Read 3772 times)

kpld

Need help with low frequency bleed!
« on: September 08, 2008, 01:35:28 AM »
I'm opening a rehearsal studio with four rooms for musicians.  I've done everything right (I think): 

Free standing rooms (no shared walls)
5/8 drywall Green Glued to 5/8 drywall then hung on decouplers which are attached to resilient channels
Insulation
Drywall doesn't touch floor (space filled in with acoustic sealant). 
Studs are on rubber
etc

The problem I am having is that if I hit a kick drum in one room, I can hear it in the next room.  It is a very low frequency, something like 80mhz.  Kind of like when you are sitting at a red light in your car and some dumb ass pulls up next to you in a lowered car playing hip hop and you can feel that kick drum.  Its almost like you can feel the vibration more than you can hear it.  Know what I mean?

That is all that is getting through.  All the other frequencies are being stopped.  Are the rooms too close too each other (they are only about an inch or two apart)?  This is driving me nuts!  I've treated the inside of the rooms like crazy so they are totally dead (celotex on the ceiling, carpet on the floor, treatments on the walls, bass traps in the corners).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mark Daveis

Re: Need help with low frequency bleed!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 05:47:27 PM »
An air gap of less than 2 inches acts like a solid and reduces LF performance also note that any mechanical connections will allow LF sound to pass easily. :)

Mark Daveis

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:18:53 PM »
Forgot to add that 2 layers of drywall may not be enough as you may need a double wall or a single one with say 5 or more layers to stop the Lf noise. :)

joel

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 06:35:05 PM »
Put a pad of vinyl nitrile closed cell foam (1" thick) under your foot and kick pedal - that will work.  for info see http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html