Author Topic: Soundproof wall for baby  (Read 5533 times)

ChavieF

Soundproof wall for baby
« on: September 14, 2008, 07:36:12 AM »
We are renting a house for one year, so cannot do any major changes. The houses on our street are all attached. The walls are made from a mixture of cement and sand and there is no insulation. My baby's room shares a wall with our neighbor's master bedroom. They are not happy about hearing him cry at night. We are very limited financially, but I need to put something on his wall that will keep the neighbors from banging on my door and yelling at me! What do I use?

Mark Daveis

Re: Soundproof wall for baby
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:21:46 PM »
Adding mass to your wall will only give you a slight increase in stc and noise can go around it.
A wood/plastic enclosure would work like a iso booth. :)

ChavieF

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:52:41 AM »
Thanks for the advice! You mean enclosing the whole room?

Mark Daveis

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 06:53:30 PM »
It would be expensive to enclose the whole room but you would make a smaller room like this.

http://www.vocalbooth.com/products/platinumseries.html

Just get a decent carpenter and use plywood or similar which is cheap.
I have built a few designs myself and know it works.
How large you want it depends on what you want to spend.
On a double walled design I got about 50 stc but you should get 20 stc on a single walled design and its just a wodden box design.
Also plastic can be used for windows and all can be taken apart when you move. :)

joel

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 07:46:48 PM »
The best material to use on the walls/ceiling panels is a closed cell vinyl nitrile foam.  The stuff vocal booth uses is similar but not nearly as effective as the type sold by Super Soundproofing.  We know this for a fact because we are also a distributor for isobooth/vocal booth products.  Here is a link to the material (see the first product described on this page):
http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html
Use at least 1/4-3/8" thick SSP Mat.