Author Topic: A/C noise from neighbor  (Read 5511 times)

mallred

A/C noise from neighbor
« on: September 22, 2008, 03:34:46 PM »
Hello,
I'm hoping you all can give me some guidance regarding a neighbor's central HVAC unit.

My bedroom window is on the side of my house and is approximately 20 feet from my neighbor's house.  The outside unit for their central heat/air is directly across from my window.  The unit itself is approximately 16 feet away from my house.

I have inexpensive 3 year-old double-pane vinyl windows.

I was thinking of doing the following:

I have a wood privacy fence which could be extended to enclose my side yard thus coming between my window and the offending unit.  It can only be 6ft high max. but I am further from the property line than my neighbor is (I'm about 11 ft, he is about 9 ft) so the fence would be closer to his AC unit which is less than 4 ft tall.  Would this be worth the effort?  Also, I want to install 1/4 inch thick interior acrylic windows using the magnet system. (I can't go thicker due to shutters in window - with 1/4 inch I will have 1.5 inches between acrylic and bottom pane and 2.5 inches between acrylic and top pane.)

Would the combination of these cut the noise significantly?  Would just one or the other possibly meet my needs by itself?

Thanks

Mark Daveis

Re: A/C noise from neighbor
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 08:22:29 PM »
The fence would be a waste of time unless you can build it higher than a house and use plenty of mass as the noise just goes over open topped structures which are short.
Anything less than 2 inches of air space will give less results and you will get some reduction with the 1/4 Inch material but most likely need more mass such as mlv type heavy drapes on the inside and heavy steel shutters on the outside.
It really depends on how loud the noise is. :)

joel

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 04:39:41 PM »
If you can get a variance to build the fence to 8' hi it would have a chance to help deflect sound up.  Some people have also added MLV directly to their side of the fence for added sound blocking there.  You can use the 1/4" thick acrylic on the inside of your window and add an inexpensive hardware bought storm window to the outside to increase air space and thus add effectiveness in blocking remaining noise.  Doing only one of the above will probably not give you the results you seek.

neverdie

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 10:45:54 AM »
It might be cheapest to simply buy a lead sound blanket for your neighbor's condensor/heatpump, if it doesn't already have one and if he would allow it to be installed.  Typically the cheap builder-grade condensors don't have one.  Ballpark cost would be about $300 for a custom blanket that wraps around the condenser and attaches to itself with Velcro.  Installation is DIY simple.  It would have a noticeable impact on sound.  I did this for my own condenser about 6 years ago.  I have since moved, and I don't recall the specifics, but it was at least 6db noise reduction.

David

jaskit

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 04:59:27 PM »
Anything less than 2 inches of air space will give less results and you will get some reduction with the 1/4 Inch material but most likely need more mass such as mlv type heavy drapes on the inside and heavy steel shutters on the outside.
It really depends on how loud the noise is

anything