Author Topic: Finding Ceiling Joists  (Read 5795 times)

Dale

Finding Ceiling Joists
« on: May 19, 2001, 05:48:16 AM »
I already have a ceiling finished with two layers of Gyproc spaced with resilient channel.
The first layer is attached directly to the joists, then the resilient channel is attached
to the same joists.  The second layer is attached to the resilient channel.  
The big problem is that the noisy neighbours are still easily heard tromping about, slamming
cupboard doors, and playing their TV/Stereo.  The bass is really loud.
I want to attach firing strips to the studs and start another layer of ceiling material per
the instructions found from Super Soundproofing Company found on this site.  Problem is: how
to locate the joists without piercing the existing material and let even more noise in?  
My stud finder doesn't do it.  Any Ideas anyone?

Matt Strickland sf ca

Re: Finding Ceiling Joists
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2001, 05:19:13 PM »
: I already have a ceiling finished with two layers of Gyproc spaced with resilient channel.
: The first layer is attached directly to the joists, then the resilient channel is attached
: to the same joists.  The second layer is attached to the resilient channel.  
: The big problem is that the noisy neighbours are still easily heard tromping about, slamming
: cupboard doors, and playing their TV/Stereo.  The bass is really loud.
: I want to attach firing strips to the studs and start another layer of ceiling material per
: the instructions found from Super Soundproofing Company found on this site.  Problem is: how
: to locate the joists without piercing the existing material and let even more noise in?  
: My stud finder doesn't do it.  Any Ideas anyone?

Matt Strickland sf ca

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2001, 05:34:31 PM »
:hate to say it, but if you want to get more stc rating and less sound transmission thru the ceiling you may have to start over.  I built a 30 room rehearsal complex with state of the art recording studio in San Francisco and ran into a similar problem. I tried to use the existing ceilings, put rc channel up over the sheetrock and rerock over the rc channel. According to top notch acoustical consultants this won't help and may make it worse.  You may have to take down the entire ceiling, get to the joist, put the rc channel perpendicular to the joist spaced every 12 inches, then put up your 2 layers of 5/8ths inch sheet rock leaving a 1/4 inch around the perimeter to chaulk with acoustical sealent.  Don't let sheetrock screws go thru to the joist, you'll short out the barrior.  Matt Dud
               check out hitwall. com
           my band duds.net  peace
ps check out or buy a acoustical book may save you time and money

bjnash

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2001, 03:47:56 AM »
: :hate to say it, but if you want to get more stc rating and less sound transmission thru the ceiling you may have to start over.  I built a 30 room rehearsal complex with state of the art recording studio in San Francisco and ran into a similar problem. I tried to use the existing ceilings, put rc channel up over the sheetrock and rerock over the rc channel. According to top notch acoustical consultants this won't help and may make it worse.  You may have to take down the entire ceiling, get to the joist, put the rc channel perpendicular to the joist spaced every 12 inches, then put up your 2 layers of 5/8ths inch sheet rock leaving a 1/4 inch around the perimeter to chaulk with acoustical sealent.  Don't let sheetrock screws go thru to the joist, you'll short out the barrior.  Matt Dud
:                 check out hitwall. com
:             my band duds.net  peace
: ps check out or buy a acoustical book may save you time and money
A good book to use is a copy of the EPA reprint:  "Quieting: A practical Guide to Noise Control", we've reprinted it as a public service and it's available for just postage and the photo copying costs - $15 PP ($9 more foreign). You can order from the web site with your credit card! http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/EPAmanual.htm
We also have an addendum about using "Double Drywall" with resilient channels we put with it.