Author Topic: Need help soundproofing room for animals  (Read 10881 times)


  • Guest
Need help soundproofing room for animals
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:21:09 AM »
Hi there-

I have a 110square foot room that has two large parrots in it. Directly next to that room is my young step-daughters room. We desperatly need to reduce the amount of noise coming out of the bird room and into the rest of the house and specifically my stepdaughters room (who shares a wall with the bird room). I've looked into a couple of different options like Owens corning 703 and Audimute soundproofing blankets (They just look like big padded moving blankets to me, I dont know the difference) but there are so many products and so much information I just cant make sense of it all. The room that the birds are in has wood panel walls and linoleum floors. Only two of the walls are walls shared with the interior of the house- one of those walls has a door into the kitchen, and the other wall is the wall next to my step-daughters room. On that wall is a walk in closet and a small bathroom, which has helped to keep the sound down in the past.

Any help would really be appreciated. I've had my birds for 14 years and had considered doing soundproofing in the past, but it really doesn't bother me. Now that my stepdaughter has moved in with us, it has been bothering her so we need to do something to help cut the noise down.

Thank you!


  • Guest
Re: Need help soundproofing room for animals
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 04:41:40 PM »
You need to both absorb (to reduce amount of sound) and block the bird sounds at the entire surface area of the two walls of concern.  The Owens Corning 703 is an absorbing material - it is used as the absorption portion in soundproofing blankets.  The sound barrier material in these blankets/panels is a flexible noise barrier called Mass loaded vinyl (MLV).  These curtain panels can be hung from a track (or hooks) along the top of the wall.  They are available in 54" wide sections with mating velcro verticle seams to form continuous coverage.  Also available are panels that have the fiberglass sound absorption material on both faces with barrier in the middle.  When this type is hung 2-3" off the wall they give added sound reduction by absorbing more sound at both sides.   


  • Guest
Re: Need help soundproofing room for animals
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 10:11:37 AM »
You can use Acoustic Quilt and Acoustic Plasterboard for this problem. Acoustic Quilt consists of a laminate of 25mm Acoustic Fibreglass, 2Kg acoustic membrane and 25mm Acoustic Fibreglass and it will work effectively