Author Topic: waterfall to cut traffic noise?  (Read 4099 times)

dirtymartini

waterfall to cut traffic noise?
« on: October 25, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
We are about to purchase a house that backs up to a 4 lane road.  I don't mind the gentle "whoosh"of cars, but the tractor trailers and motorcycles are awful.  There is a berm behind the house with trees and hedges.  The berm is fairly high...I can just see the tops of the semis as they drive by.

Would a large waterfall make an impact?  the home has a pool, and we would be willing to spend a good amount on a structure that runs the length of the pool and forms a waterfall into the pool.

Thanks!

johnbergstromslc

Re: waterfall to cut traffic noise?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 10:44:28 PM »
Well, you're not going to completely eliminate the noise from the road, but the white noise from a large enough water feature will be a lot more pleasing than cars and trucks. 

dirtymartini

Re: waterfall to cut traffic noise?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 07:48:37 AM »
Thanks for the response.  We just put an offer in on the house.  A very, very VERY low offer.

I have sat in the backyard during rush hour, and also on a rainy evening when the traffic seems louder.  It was pretty bad...again, not the cars but the big trucks.  I am not worried about noise inside the house, but rather the back yard.  If we get the house, I will be back on these boards for sure!