Author Topic: soundproofing existing walls on a low budget help  (Read 6215 times)

Multgelix

soundproofing existing walls on a low budget help
« on: October 28, 2008, 09:15:37 PM »

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help me.

I live in an apartment and have a neighbor next to me who plays heavy rap music alot, the music itself isnt causing me issue, but the bass coming coming from it is causing bumping and sometimes banging sounds, which are driving me absolutelty nuts.

However, his music is not what would be considered illegal, and I cannot get help from anyone else to allievate it, so it falls to me to find some way to fix the problem on my own.

However, I live on an extremely low budget, I live on a low goverment subsidized income, and only have about $50 a month to spend on non nessesities.

I have done dozens of searches online for potential ways to allievate this problem, and Carpeting(attached via nails or wall hooks) or something called Soundproofing panels, seems to be the way to go.

However, I have no idea what kind of carpet I should use(Nylon? Polyester? something else?) and the searches I have done for Panels have come up with roughly $100s of dollars for the cheapest ones.

So, Can anyone here please provide me with some tips for reducing the the sound coming through the walls, on a low $50 a month or less budget?

The wall I need covered is about roughly 16ft across and about 7 feet height.

Thank you for any and all help on this.

-Multgelix

joel

Re: soundproofing existing walls on a low budget help
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 08:59:50 PM »
Wow, what a difficult question.  There is nothing I know of that you can do on such a fixed ($50) amount - unfortunately.  If you use carpet best use a wool, cut loop, 1/2" thick pile - this will absorb sound but is best used on the source side of the sound.  To block sound you need mass.  You could get some sheets of 5/8" or 3/4" dry wall and tack them directly to your side of the wall - this is the least expensive way to add mass to your side of the wall.
Making portable panels (even using 1/2" SSP Mat) would still cost around $400.00 plus the sound deadening board to glue it to.  Here's a link to soundproofing kits you can make yourself: http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/kits.htm