Author Topic: Soundproofing the 2nd floor of my garage, any ideas??  (Read 3959 times)

Scotty99

Soundproofing the 2nd floor of my garage, any ideas??
« on: November 07, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »
I am planning on making a practice room in the 2nd floor of my garage, (it will only be a section of the room that already exists) and I want to make it as sound proof as possible but without spending a ton of money. I have this 6" thick hard foam industrial soundproofing. My plan was to do a room within a room (Which technically will be inside of the room thats in the garage) with this sound proofing separating the walls, and insulation the walls with fiberglass insulation. Is this is a bad idea? Any suggestions will be useful. Also the floor & ceiling was another concern, i was just gonna frame it with 2x4s and float the floor with fiberglass insulation in the opening. If anybody has any ideas please post something. Thanks Alot.

joel

Re: Soundproofing the 2nd floor of my garage, any ideas??
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 06:11:34 PM »
What is the '6" thick hard foam industrial soundpoofing'?  Does it have a name? What is it made of?  In order to give you a competent suggestion we need to start there.
The 'bad' idea would be to create a "triple leaf effect".  Just be sure to have the inside facing surfaces of the two walls open with the insulation in both walls exposed to each other.  Fiberglass is OK for insulation as long as you also have mass and damping on the wall/floor/ceiling surface side that faces the sound source.  For new room side wall, MLV stapled directly to open studs/joists, padding tape on top, double dry wall with Green Glue damping compound will give you best air-borne sound blocking of ALL frequencies without using sound clips to create a floating wall.  If you want to float the wall with clips, then mount the clips on top of the MLV layer, pre-damp the hat channel (DWFC) with the padding tape, put neoprene pads on floor to rest (de-couple) the dry wall layers from the floor, and install the two layers of dry wall with green glue to the hat channels. 
How do you plan to "float the floor with finerglass in the openings"?  Again, you will need mass to stop air-borne sound.  The insulation in the openings is only one of four elements you need - still need barrier (MLV), decoupler and damping.  Oh, by the way, the easiest way to successfully decouple the base and top plates of the 2x4 framing is with isolation/padding tape.  Using tapes in soundproofing is discussed at
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/Tape.htm

Scotty99

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 12:28:42 AM »
sorry i wasnt more specific. The soundproofing im talking about is 6" thick, very dense hard foam, it has some serious weight to it, the pieces are 2'x6' I got about 100 pieces. I dont know the name of it. I got it from a friend who works at a big industrial building and they put it in walls for soundproofing. I was just thinking putting that in the middle of the walls and still insulation the walls themselves.

joel

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 12:05:59 AM »
From what you describe it sounds like some form of dense, polyurethane foam.  Sounds like it should work OK.  Most polyurethanes are used for sound absorption but if this is very dense it might have some STC value as well.  The fact that you plan to put standard insulation with it will help as well.