Author Topic: fiberglass insulation  (Read 3225 times)

Lucas

fiberglass insulation
« on: May 22, 2001, 12:49:12 AM »
I have already framed out additional interior walls to add a second barrier between my rehearsal space and the outside world. I was going to put fiberglass insulation (6" thick) between the new studs, but now I am getting the impression that that may not be the best approach. Is there any material close in price, that would make a better sound insulator? Thanks...

bjnash

Re: fiberglass insulation
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2001, 03:39:40 AM »
: I have already framed out additional interior walls to add a second barrier between my rehearsal space and the outside world. I was going to put fiberglass insulation (6" thick) between the new studs, but now I am getting the impression that that may not be the best approach. Is there any material close in price, that would make a better sound insulator? Thanks...

For many years and including now, fiberglass thermal insulation has been king in the acoustical world.  Owens COrning has a website with impressive ratings, showing STC's in the 50's and above.  Everyone we've talked to in the field has admitted that these ratings are not attainable in the practical world where we live.  Even the technical guys at Owens-Corning has admitted that "the advertising department" has exaggerated these ratings.
A better cheaper alternative?  If you consider it won't do what you expect- there is far better materials.