Author Topic: Soundproofing unfinished basement from above living area  (Read 2910 times)

Jjay

Soundproofing unfinished basement from above living area
« on: November 29, 2008, 06:55:51 PM »
Hello, and thanks for the forum site.

I've been searching for a solution to a sound problem I have for the past week or so and I've come across your forum. 

My house is a standard Cape Cod style, but we have added a one story "in-law" addition (with full basement)  to the side of the house.  We have opened the existing main home's foundation to make an entrance to the basement of the "in-law" addition.  The footprint of the addition as appox. 700sf.

In the unfinished basement area, ( which is heated) we have installed a full size slate bed pool table. The sound of playing, clacking of the balls breaking, the occasional shout from a missed shot .... etc ..  is so loud upstairs in the apartment area that it sounds as though the table was right in the same room.

I was hoping to find a soundproofing solution that wouldn't put me in the poor house.  However, if I must spend a lot,  (a lot to me is 2 to 4 K )  I need to be 100% sure that it will be effective and not merely "better".

What I've learned to this point seems to be folks pointing me to some overkill solutions ( probably to safeguard their suggestions to me) that are crazy expensive.

This is one solution I was looking at  http://www.soundprooffoam.com/soundblockr.html 

I was thinking of installing it ... then put standard fiberglass kraft faced insulation (paper down in heated basement).  Then installing sheetrock to cover all.

Some folks are telling me to just unroll the MLV over the joist and install the sheetrock and that will be enough to sound proof, others say no, others say noting short of a million dollars spent will work, and I just don't know what to believe. 

I also hate to unroll that MLV on the joist and have to chop it up if I ever need access to the basement ceiling.  Plumbing pipes, wires ... etc are all exposed now.

I saw your natural cotton fiber insulation and thought that may work, but was told it would only help.

I've heard the term "soundproof sheetrock" but can't seem to find the product.  I'm not a wealthy person, and I am hoping someone can help me with a solution that will be effective and not completely break the bank.  :)

thanks much
joe

johnbergstromslc

Re: Soundproofing unfinished basement from above living area
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 05:00:40 PM »
Despite what others have may have told you, you don't have a complicated or expensive-to-fix problem; in fact, you have a straightforward situation that is easily remedied.

If you insulate the floor cavities (use fiberglass - it's the cheapest and most convenient), add resilient channels (or better yet, isolation clips plus hat channel), 2 layers of 5/8" drywall, and do some good sealing, both edge and field seams, you can get really good soundproofing. 

An unfinished floor/ceiling system rates an STC of about 25, if that.  By adding insulation, resilient channels and double drywall in a quality installation, you can raise the STC to at least 50 - a LOT quieter.     

anything