Author Topic: Control Room Layout?  (Read 4205 times)

NativeLuv17

Control Room Layout?
« on: December 04, 2008, 09:24:35 PM »
Hey everyone, I recently started building my own recording studio, and need some questions answered before I start on the control room. I have attached the floor plan layout of the CR, as well as a virtual view of what I am shooting for. Basically what I am wondering is if there will be any problems acoustically/sound wise in relation to reflections or bass resonance if I decide to add the two triangular walls on the front sides of where the desk is? Is there also any problems with putting a second window to the east of the listener? What would I do in the case of first reflections? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks - N8V

ears4hire

Re: Control Room Layout?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 01:27:51 AM »
Hey there,

Randy @ Super Soundproofing Co. suggested that I post a reply to this Control Room inquiry as I am the local Acoustical Consultant (heck my degree was in recording arts).

Yes, first reflections are a major concern as is bass resonance; bass traps are the typical solution for bass resonance. The location of treatment for the first reflections is very critical. If the room is all sheet-rock the room will not have a flat response; it will be mid-bass heavy, so tuned panels maybe what you need.

What is the use of two triangular walls on the front sides of where the desk is - monitors? What are you planning for studio monitors (model & location)?

The answer to your questions are not that simple, but let me know what I can do to help. I keep a very-low cost of overhead, compared to the other Acoustical Consultants, so my fees are very reasonable.

Typical acoustic panel locations can be seen here (a partner site off-shore):
http://www.aygosound.com/Files/AfeoFiles/AfeoInstallation.htm

David Kennedy
Acoustic Consultant 

www.d-k-a.com
www.integrityacoustics.com
phone: 760-798-9038