Author Topic: Wall STC Ratings  (Read 4987 times)

madsnook

Wall STC Ratings
« on: December 07, 2008, 04:23:35 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me approx. what my wall STC ratings are.  Its a two story home with block on the ground floor only.  Basically the first story is stucco, block, studs and insulation, then drywall.  I believe the second story is stucco, plywood, studs and insulation, then drywall.  I'm not sure about the thickness of the materials used but they're probably the minimum (house was built by MI Homes here in FL).  Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide some sage advice.

johnbergstromslc

Re: Wall STC Ratings
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 10:28:23 PM »
I couldn't find any specific STC ratings for your wall assembly, so an educated guess is about the best I can offer.

As for the ground floor walls, assuming 8" cinder block and studs independent of the block wall, this configuation probably rates 55-60, but less when you factor in the windows and doors, incomplete sealing, etc.  If the 'studs' are really just furring strips rigidly attached to the block, the rating will be less than 50.

The second story walls probably rate STC 40-42 ideally, less in real-world conditions.

madsnook

Re: Wall STC Ratings
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 07:22:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I understand what you mean by real world.  When putting in some wood floors I noticed large gaps where the drywall meets the floor.  All that is covering the gap is the wood base board.  I probably should have gotten a 5 gallon bucket of joint compound and sealed the gaps.

anything