Author Topic: Soundproof siding, doors, windows, fencing, and landscaping for my home  (Read 15698 times)

EB_Dweller

I live on a 40MPH busy 2 lane street with trucks, motorcycles, etc.

I am in the process of doing the following and need help picking out products with sound in mind:

Exterior / Interior Doors
Vinyl Siding
Fencing
Landscaping ie bushes
2-3 Zone Central AC
Additional Window accessories

My home was built in the 1920's.  It currently has Aluminum Siding, old exterior wood doors, broken storm doors, and no fencing or landscaping.

I replaced the old wooden windows in April 2006 for double pane windows, which did help alot.

This coming Spring of 2009 I am going to do the above and would like any ideas, even if you are a salesman for the company you are pitching, I don't care, I need to do this right.  I will not have the money to do this again if it is not done right.

Thanks for all your help!

- Going Mad in NJ

johnbergstromslc

Re: Soundproof siding, doors, windows, fencing, and landscaping for my home
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:39:55 PM »
I live on a 40MPH busy 2 lane street with trucks, motorcycles, etc.

I am in the process of doing the following and need help picking out products with sound in mind:

Exterior / Interior Doors
Vinyl Siding
Fencing
Landscaping ie bushes
2-3 Zone Central AC
Additional Window accessories

As for any door, solid-core (heavy) is best, with good seals.  Vinyl siding, fencing and landscaping add a neglible amount of soundproofing, so choose whatever suits you.  A central heating system is quieter with insulated ducts, if possible.  You've upgraded the windows, so that is a plus, but the same rule applies as to doors: more mass is better, with good seals.

Granted, I'm a construction guy, but I'd recommend (in at least one room) upgrading your walls to staggered studs, adding insulation (something you probably don't have now and would definitely help both with sound and heating bills) and double drywall.  Also, hang your ceiling resiliently to kill noise from above.

EB_Dweller

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 01:40:17 PM »
Thanks John,

I just got this from someone in regards to my Vinyl Siding choice:

Vinyl siding is not a good choice for sound barrier, would go with 1/2" to 2" foiled foam, and put hardie lap or panel.
The foam sheeting is super insulation especially when covered with foil, hardie is a cement board,... by using the two together it will solve your noise problem and increase your insulation efficiency. what expense difference there is between the vinyl siding and the foam foil and Hardie siding will come back to you in heating and cooling cost, as well as being comfortable living in a home with a whole lot less noise in your living space.

Does this make sense to anyone?

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 06:31:58 PM »
Yeah, it makes sense.  Hardie siding is, as he said, cement board, a close cousin of the backer board you install before tiling.  It's very durable, lasts forever and is dense, denser than drywall.  Not sure if installing it over 1 1/2 inch foam is a good idea, though - you may want to stick to 3/4".  I could be wrong, though - I've only used it a couple of times, nailed directly to the sheathing, with no foam....

Check out this link, it might have some kind of info on installation or a contact page where you could get some technical advice.

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/products-exterior.shtml

Hardie board is great for sound control, but it'll run you at least 5 times as much as vinyl, more in certain areas.

anything