Author Topic: Front Load Washer/Dryer Stacked Unit causing vibration  (Read 4602 times)

Andrea

Front Load Washer/Dryer Stacked Unit causing vibration
« on: May 23, 2001, 12:54:32 AM »
Vibration is felt along the floor and wall when washer is in its final spin cycle.  I live on the third floor of an apt. building and I worry that the vibration is disturbing my downstairs neighbor.  Although they haven't said anything, I don't want a problem to start as washer/dryers are not officially allowed in my co-op.  Is there anything I can place under the unit (it weighs about 400 lbs.) to absorb this vibration.  I saw the vibration mats on this site, but they only measure 2"-4" each.  Do I place one under each foot?  Do they completely absorb the vibration or just lessen it?  

bjnash

Re: Front Load Washer/Dryer Stacked Unit causing vibration
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2001, 03:44:22 AM »
: Vibration is felt along the floor and wall when washer is in its final spin cycle.  I live on the third floor of an apt. building and I worry that the vibration is disturbing my downstairs neighbor.  Although they haven't said anything, I don't want a problem to start as washer/dryers are not officially allowed in my co-op.  Is there anything I can place under the unit (it weighs about 400 lbs.) to absorb this vibration.  I saw the vibration mats on this site, but they only measure 2"-4" each.  Do I place one under each foot?  Do they completely absorb the vibration or just lessen it?  
Vibration pads are usually quite effective in reducing this vibration transmitted into the floor.  One under each foot will work well, apply some adhesive to keep it from working out.  Household "Goop" works very well for this.  A soundproofing pad of "Silencer" flooring will also lessen sound transmited through the floor into the ceiling below.

Andrea

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2001, 05:27:50 PM »
I bought the 4" vibration pads and placed one under each foot of the stacked unit.  I then ran the washer.  During the final spin cycle, the vibration was INCREDIBLY INCREASED!!! with the use of these pads.  It sounded and felt as if I was standing on the runway of LaGuardia Airport.  What gives???!!??  I thought these were supposed to reduce vibration, not increase it a thousandfold!

Andrea

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2001, 05:28:27 PM »
I bought the 4" vibration pads and placed one under each foot of the stacked unit.  I then ran the washer.  During the final spin cycle, the vibration was INCREDIBLY INCREASED!!! with the use of these pads.  It sounded and felt as if I was standing on the runway of LaGuardia Airport.  What gives???!!??  I thought these were supposed to reduce vibration, not increase it a thousandfold!

bjnash

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2001, 04:08:41 PM »
: I bought the 4" vibration pads and placed one under each foot of the stacked unit.  I then ran the washer.  During the final spin cycle, the vibration was INCREDIBLY INCREASED!!! with the use of these pads.  It sounded and felt as if I was standing on the runway of LaGuardia Airport.  What gives???!!??  I thought these were supposed to reduce vibration, not increase it a thousandfold!
\
\Obviously a serious imbalance exists here, perhaps a defect in the machine.  Some investigation is warranted by a repairman.