Author Topic: Foundation walls  (Read 2882 times)

Lou Kingman

Foundation walls
« on: December 19, 2000, 12:18:55 AM »
I have Homosote and resilient channel to apply to interior basement walls and ceiling, but I was planning to install just the 5/8 drywall to the foundation walls. I figured the wall is so massive it's not going to conduct much, and I am trying to preserve space (its' a small room).
But am I overlooking a serious sound leak here? Am I creating a sound channel behind the drywall upward to the house?
Thanks,
LK

bjnash

Re: Foundation walls
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2000, 06:11:14 AM »
:  I have Homosote and resilient channel to apply to interior basement walls and ceiling, but I was planning to install just the 5/8 drywall to the foundation walls. I figured the wall is so massive it's not going to conduct much, and I am trying to preserve space (its' a small room).
:  But am I overlooking a serious sound leak here? Am I creating a sound channel behind the drywall upward to the house?
:  Thanks,
:  LK
Yes, you are quite correct, masonry makes an excellent sound barrier and the Homosote would not normally be needed.  Block the top off at the headers (caulk) so as to make a truly dead air space.  If there are no windows, this system is  perfectly acceptable