Author Topic: New Build Noise Transfer between Walls  (Read 3290 times)

LynneMi

New Build Noise Transfer between Walls
« on: January 31, 2009, 12:47:46 PM »
Hello, I just moved to a just moved in to a newly Built Condo in the fall. My bedroom backs up to the neighbor's Living Room Wall. These are supposed to be High End /No Noise Places. Shaft walls, Tru-divided 2" thick Gypsum, Great Insulation, Sill Seal etc.

Well, my neighbor moved in and I can hear every foot step, pc of furniture being moved, and of course the radio/TV all night. Not like this guy is Blasting things or stomping around. I shouldn't be hearing much of anything. I can't imagine what it willbe when his Big Screen ist mounted on the wall that is directly behind my bed.
My last Condo I heard virtually nothing on either side. Oh yeah and this is supposed to be Energy Star and my Gas/Electrical are SKY High. Way beyond what it says in the sales Brochures. And Im not even here that much.
They changed contractors and project managers a lot to cut costs so it makes me wonder.
Any ideas what further soundproofing can be done or what they might have missed /done wrong before I go nuts from lack of sleep? The other unit the Bedrooms back up to each other so they really dont hear TVS/radios etc.

joel

Re: New Build Noise Transfer between Walls
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:29:27 AM »
The situation you describe sounds horrible.  I can't really say what went wrong during the construction - most 'modern' condominiums have area separation walls that are double studs with double layer of 5/8" dry wall on outside surfaces and insulation in the stud cavities.  These generally have a 55-59 STC rating which is sufficient to block even loud noise/sound.
A solution which has been used repeatedly with great success by our clients is to add two layers of 1/8" thick MLV (Mass loaded vinyl) directly to the existing dry wall (it is available with a pressure sensitive adhesive backing for a 'peel & stick' application) and cover another layer of 5/8" fire code dry wall with Green Glue damping compound.  We have found this solution to give instantaneous results that get even better over time.  The Green Glue damping compound is especially important for your situation if the neighbor indeed mounts TVs or speakers on the common wall. 

tflorida

Re: New Build Noise Transfer between Walls
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 04:47:39 PM »
Hi,

My Son is having the same problem with neighbors on two walls - one on the living room side and the other neighbor on the bedroom side.  He hears everything.  He is miserable to the point he's suffering from depression.

The wall is 5 1/8" thick and is filled with BATT insulation.  The wall is 5/8" drywall on either side.

I searching for an acoustical contractor and a process which we can use to kill the sound.  Can anyone help me.

Thanks so much.

Tom