Author Topic: ok lets see if I can get this right...  (Read 2507 times)

alpha010

ok lets see if I can get this right...
« on: February 24, 2009, 11:42:57 AM »
Ok, here's the scenerio.....I have the go-ahead from my wife to start building a soundproof room in my basement for my drumkit and video gaming needs.  The size of the area that we alotted was roughly 25' x 30'.  Cinderblock walls, concrete floor, rafter/floor joist ceiling. When I had the house built I had an extra course of block put in to make the space higher so no matter what I would like to keep a good height.
    Now here's my thoughts on the best soundproofing I can get without goin to have pro's come and doin it for me;
1) Start with a raised floor with rubber under a minimal number of "feet" to reduce vibes goin into concrete
2) On the floor, Neoprene matting with MLV on that, followed by carpet padding and lastly carpeting
3) First wall layer, 2x4's with acoustic dampening tape on face of each stud using 24" o/c studding and minimal fasteners
4) Cotton fiber batting in air spaces (gets cold in my basement)
5) Mass loaded vinyl sheeting hung top to bottom over first wall-layer
6) Second 2x4 stud wall with spacing offset to the first also filled with cotton fiber batting and tape on all faces
7) Ceiling framed-in with tape and Channels between framing and floor joists and mass loaded vinyl and tape on the         ceiling faces as well????? (this is the part im having probs with figuring out)
8) Double-hang 5/8" fireboard with acoustic dampening epoxy/sealant sandwiched between
9) Caulk all seams
10) hang foam (proper type for bass trap and studio work)
Basically i want to be able to play any of my instruments plugged-in and at full blast when my kids are in bed on the second story.

johnbergstromslc

Re: ok lets see if I can get this right...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 06:54:09 PM »
Basically i want to be able to play any of my instruments plugged-in and at full blast when my kids are in bed on the second story.

Silencing amplified music 'at full blast' is not realistic for a light wood-framed structure, but you'll get some decent soundproofing with your plan.

anything