Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: double glazing vs acrylic  (Read 6224 times)

rockran

double glazing vs acrylic
« on: December 02, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »

Hi,
 I'm in New Zealand and I have two quotes to think about for solving my traffic noise problem

1. Replace my current wooden 3mm glazed units with uPVC windows 6.38 (laminated glass) 10mm gap 4 mm glass
    * More Expensive
    * Is white while the rest of the window unit will be cream

2. Add secondary glazing from magnetite 10mm acrylic sheet on magnets with an air gap of 50mm
    * Will be a pain to open windows because it involves removal of the 10mm sheet (we don't open our windows often because of a ventilation unit)

My current windows are thin 3mm and the seals are not great.

Which of these would be solve my problem better.. i live near a busy street and have large windows.

Thanks,

johnbergstromslc

Re: double glazing vs acrylic
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 05:55:04 PM »

Well, not to sound like a smart-aleck, but I'd say do both.  A large airspace like with the magnetite solution is preferable, but if either set of windows have gaps or don't seal well, it compromises the soundproofing.

It'll save you money on heating/cooling, too...

rockran

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 12:13:19 AM »

Thanks JB... I'm gonna try option 1 because it will be better for insulation anyway and my windows are just too drafty at the moment..  then maybe as you suggested option 2

Juliewells

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:28:51 AM »

You should opt second option, it will work as well as it is not as expensive as the first option

mkmanjeet35

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 06:18:28 AM »

NO IDEA DEAR WHICH WILL WORK BUT I ALSO TRY BOTH