Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: loud people next door  (Read 3357 times)

badman70

loud people next door
« on: June 14, 2009, 08:07:17 PM »

Hi,

I'm looking for advice to sound proof some window's from noisy neighbors next door to my townhome that talk, laugh and drink to the wee hours of the morning just below my bedroom windows.

I read about laminated glass, but I go to home depot and nobody knows anything about it.  I also really don't trust those online soundproofing stores who probably want thousands of dollars not to mention I want to see what I'm buying before I buy it.

Basically, I got 3 windows that are sunken in.  The wall is 6inch steal studs and 3 layers of drywall so if i measured the box the window sits in, there is 6 inches of space between the cheap window and the edge of the ledge.  I want to be able to still open the windows as I only need the sound proofing when the neighbors are out there partying. Not looking for anything crazy, just to block out human voices.

johnbergstromslc

Re: loud people next door
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 03:55:14 PM »

So what are you trying to do?  Replace the glass in your current windows, build a plug or install a second window unit?

A second window unit would surely be enough to drown out voices, but forget about getting laminated glass at Home Depot or Lowes - that's a custom job, through a local window manufacturer.  Probably overkill, anyway...

badman70

Re: loud people next door
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 07:36:58 PM »

I’m looking for the cheapest way to get more attenuation rather than to mask the noise with some kind of white noise machine.  The laminated windows are expensive and, I agree probably overkill.  I just need to attenuate human voices from next door as they party below my bedroom windows.  I’m not trying to block out airplanes or traffic. 

So far adding a 2nd window on the inside seemed to be the only choice that I found.  Being a condo, I don’t think I can replace the existing windows.
What is a plug?  Is it removable when I don’t need it?  I have deep window boxes, with 4 inches of space between the existing window and inside mounted blinds.