Author Topic: Soundproofing Common Wall  (Read 5271 times)

ozosrt4

Soundproofing Common Wall
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:11:09 AM »
I feel like I found gold with this forum, thank you to whoever started this.

I just moved into an apartment away from an old condo with noisy neighbors below, could hear everything.  This new apartment I picked because it has 3/16" concrete over OSB sub-floors.  My heart dropped when I heard the neighbors adjacent to me the first morning in our new place, common wall (bedroom).  This common wall is drywall/concrete/drywall (I believe, very solid every inch I tap) and does alright for average sounds (120Hz - 4,000Hz), but neighbor has a very low voice & a small dog that I can hear clearly when silent.  I can not hear there TV (normal volume) until I put my ear to wall. I'm on a budget and want to do something that can be taken down. Wall to cover is 18' x 8'

My total budget is $300. My goal is an est STC in the low 60's, I want to make noise too.

My idea and I would like opinions. GG sealant existing bottom wall / baseboard.  1" x 2" fur strips (5 horizontal) with green glue joist tape on existing wall side & GG compound on new wall side.  New wall constructed of 5/8" type X / GG / 5/8" type X in 4' x 4' sections to easily (undercover) bring in (3rd floor - top floor).  GG sealant all drywall joints/ sides.  Tape (flat tape corners), no butts to tape, paint (I was a union journeyman taper not to long ago)

I have thought about clips and channels but blows my budget.

Other thoughts I have but errrggg do not know about, maybe someone has done already.

Inserting fuel line rubber hose inside the fur strips to isolate screws mounted to existing wall, poor man's silent channel, etc.... (would need to show a diagram of how this works to explain).

I'm not sure on what to do with the bottom of the new wall, as it is placed on carpet.  Pull it back and build a 3/4" x 4"  kick out to cover?  I would like a flat wall with a matching base board.

I have not been in the attic yet, I might end up with a drop ceiling. If this works I plan on doing it to my living room common wall also.

johnbergstromslc

Re: Soundproofing Common Wall
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:46:30 PM »
You're not going to get an STC in the 'low 60's' or anything close to that for $300.  Not at all realistic.  Spend a thousand, and maybe you'll get a wall that good, but sound will still flank around, through the floor and ceiling.

ozosrt4

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 07:16:05 PM »
You're not going to get an STC in the 'low 60's' or anything close to that for $300.  Not at all realistic.  Spend a thousand, and maybe you'll get a wall that good, but sound will still flank around, through the floor and ceiling.

okay sorry I said anything about STC ratings (it doesn't matter anyways).  Will this achieve a noticeable drop in sound traveling through the wall? (excluding the floor & ceiling). 

Also included in my $300 budget wall is fiberglass.

johnbergstromslc

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:32:42 PM »
Don't try and re-invent the wheel.  It's doubtful your plan will work at even a fraction of tried-and-true methods.  Sound control products are designed by engineers and physicists to optimize the transmission loss - they're not just 'thrown together' because someone thinks they might work.   

If you're stuck with a $300 budget and you can tear apart the wall, I'd suggest building a staggered-stud wall.  The extra cost for lumber and drywall is minimal.  With 2 layers of 5/8" drywall you can get a the wall STC of 58.  (STC 55 for 2 X 1/2" drywall)

If you can't tear apart the wall, you might want to use Green Glue plus and additional layer of drywall.