Author Topic: plexiglass panels questions  (Read 3975 times)

mantis07

plexiglass panels questions
« on: July 11, 2009, 11:44:21 PM »
Hi, can plexiglass panels be installed on the outside of a window?  I have double pane windows that are useless for noisy screaming neighbor kids and dog barks.  Those 2 things are what drive me crazy.  The house is built with 6" studs and stucco and should be pretty quiet except for the windows.  The windows have decorative banding around them (made of syrofoam) and covered with stucco.  This banding sticks out about 1.75" from the window face and is about 4-5" wide all around the window.  Could I just attach a plexiglass panel and get some noise relief?

Thanks for ANY suggestions!

Tony

mantis07

Re: plexiglass panels questions
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 06:19:21 PM »
no opinions ???

johnbergstromslc

Re: plexiglass panels questions
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 07:08:31 PM »
Hi, can plexiglass panels be installed on the outside of a window?  I have double pane windows that are useless for noisy screaming neighbor kids and dog barks.  Those 2 things are what drive me crazy.  The house is built with 6" studs and stucco and should be pretty quiet except for the windows.  The windows have decorative banding around them (made of syrofoam) and covered with stucco.  This banding sticks out about 1.75" from the window face and is about 4-5" wide all around the window.  Could I just attach a plexiglass panel and get some noise relief?

Thanks for ANY suggestions!

Tony

As long as you have a decent airspace (2"+) and good sealing, absolutely.  If you leave a significant gap around the edges it won't work too well.  Also, use thick plexiglass: 3/8" minimum.

Look into some 'removable caulk'.  It will give you a good seal and will peel off without any residue when you decide to remove the panel:

http://www.amazon.com/18324-Seal-Removable-Caulk-10-1-Ounce/dp/B0002YVNOQ

anything