Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: DIY Secondary Glazing with acrylic panels for heavy street traffic  (Read 3774 times)

bassmann

Hi there,

I've recently moved into my house and are finding outside traffic unbearable so I've been researching DIY acrylic panels for secondary glazing.

Here is some information I have so far:

Location: My house is located on the interection of 2 busy city roads. I get noise from the front and back and have to deal with traffic starting and stopping (including trucks).
Based on simple observation I have determined the windows are a weak link.

What I know:
- Low frequencies are a major problem
- Thicker panels have more mass and are generally better at absorbing low frequencies
- The gap depth is critical and ideally should be 100mm (4"") to tackle the low frequencies
- The installation MUST be well sealed.

Now for the questions:
- At best I think I can only get a 85mm gap (3.2""). How much worse off vs. 100mm will I be at addressing low frequencies?
- 6mm (1/4"") vs. 10mm (3/8"") acrylic panels? How much different will this make with a 85mm gap. Note the cost of the 10mm is about double that of 6mm panels.
- Does anyone have empirical data on the impact of gaps vs. panel thickness in secondary glazing installations. I am considering taking acoustic measurements so I can estimate the expected db SPL loss of various installations.
- Attching the panels - is magnetic tape the way to go? Why is it so popular? Are there better options (e.g foam seals, frames etc). The priority is sound reduction.
- Anything I have overlooked?

Thanks in advance
Bassmann

Chris J

Re: DIY Secondary Glazing with acrylic panels for heavy street traffic
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 01:46:17 PM »

Hi Bassman, what type of construction is your house?

Chris

bassmann

Re: DIY Secondary Glazing with acrylic panels for heavy street traffic
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 04:42:54 AM »

Hi Chris,

Sorry for tardy response...

House is brick veneer 2 story, tiled roof and timber windows.
The roof does not have insulation which I am installing polyester thermal and acoustic bats shortly 240mm thick. Hope this will reduce any sound from above by 6 - 8db.

Cheers Bassmann